1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
A local concrete company is selling 2x2x2 blocks of concrete that weigh 1,200 lbs for $35. I am trying to figure out if I can buy one and modify it to become a 3 point weight. It has a loop in it already so you can pick it up with a hook and chain, so I could use that to hook to the top link. What's the best way to add the side posts that go to the 3 point hitch arms? Do I drill holes on both sides and epoxy in the posts? Drill all the way through and use a pipe?

Large Concrete Blocks - materials - by dealer - sale

I was thinking I could make these and sell them, but shipping would kill me!

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #2  
I have a 4,000 pound one sitting in the back of my dump truck that I got for free. I’m probably just going to use it for a “gate”. 1200 pounds of quickcreat isn’t very much. I think you’d be a lot better off to cast it yourself with everything you wanted already cast in it.

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #3  
You may be able to build a form with pins, etc, in it, then leave it at the concrete plant for them to put leftover mix in. That's probably what these sale blocks are.

Bruce

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #4  
If you have a lot of scrap steel laying around, you could build a frame to go around it to hook to the tractor 3 point or mount it to a modified carryall. I don’t think I would try the epoxy route though.
I think Bruce has the better idea of making the form and bringing it to them. It would be built the way you want it without having to do any modifications to it.

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #5  
I see two scenarios ... Make frame that fits the block and the 3PH and set block on/into framework...

Or custom make your own... I made up a 2x2x1 steel box and filled it with about 8 bags of 60 pound quickcrete ... ITs about 600 pounds and works well on my SCUT... Yes size maters...

Concrete weighs about 150lbs per cubic foot.... You making your own you have option to make "weight" that fits your needs....

Ballast box.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
   / 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #6  
Another option would be to chain one of those blocks to a 3 point fork or carryall.

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #7  
I think that modifying the block for your use is just fooling yourself. Building a frame to hold the block or drilling it will be more work than just making an appropriate form and using Quickcrete.

Have you ever tried drilling a hole thru two feet of concrete - not easy and usually ends up being a mess.

/ 1200 lb Concrete Ballast for $35 #8  
I think that modifying the block for your use is just fooling yourself. Building a frame to hold the block or drilling it will be more work than just making an appropriate form and using Quickcrete.
I agree.

Have you ever tried drilling a hole thru two feet of concrete - not easy and usually ends up being a mess.
Actually I have, using a SDS rotary hammer it goes pretty quickly, 2 to 3 minutes per hole if you have the right bit.

Aaron Z