12 volt heater for cab

/ 12 volt heater for cab #1  

K man

Platinum Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti CK 30 HST with cab. 2018 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 EPS UTV
Hi all as the Summer is almost 1/2 over I am starting to think about heater for my CK30 tractor cab. Anyone know of a good makes of 12 volt heater that will work great in my cab. I don't want to be overly hot just enough to keep the window from fogging up. I saw one 300 watts on the net but so much bias against it so I will wait to hear from you guys. Also where is the best location to mount this heater inside the cab. My cab is a soft one. Thanks

Gilles

/ 12 volt heater for cab #2  
I used this ceramic heater in my previous tractor cab. It draws 15-20 amps. I wired it direct to the battery with an inline toggle switch to shut it off. It was more than enough to keep the frost off the windows and was warm enough not to need gloves inside the cab. Shop around for the best price. I paid around $50.
I'm not sure how many amps your CK alternator puts out but it should be enough to keep the battery charged while using it.

Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSL-681 12V Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/Fan with Swivel Base: Automotive

/ 12 volt heater for cab #3  
Another option might be a small heater core and fan . Easier on the battery. You could get one from a car in the wrecking yard or whatever or a new one ready to mount in a box with a fan from a auto parts supplier. Years ago I got a rear seat heater from an old school bus with the hoses and all and put it behind the drivers seat in a Dodge Ram to help warm up my co workers in the back. Put a valve in the line to shut off the coolant in the summer and a toggle switch to turn the fan on as needed.
Al

/ 12 volt heater for cab #4  
Another option might be a small heater core and fan . Easier on the battery. You could get one from a car in the wrecking yard or whatever or a new one ready to mount in a box with a fan from a auto parts supplier. Years ago I got a rear seat heater from an old school bus with the hoses and all and put it behind the drivers seat in a Dodge Ram to help warm up my co workers in the back. Put a valve in the line to shut off the coolant in the summer and a toggle switch to turn the fan on as needed.
Al

I also used a school bus rear seat heater but modified it to use a 4 x 4 'muffin fan' which made the package much more compact and drew a mere 1 amp.
That has served me well for about 10 years trouble free.
That heater measures about 6" x 6" x 4" to which the fan added a mere 1".

The actual heater is made by Carter.

/ 12 volt heater for cab #5  
i would be rather cautious about 12v heater.... you will be drawing a descent amount of power from the system. and end result you may end up turning off tractor and not be able to start it backup again. more so cold batteries = less power, vs warm batteries, so you may end up with a tractor needing a jump start....

google....diy tractor heater .... you might try adding in "computer fan" into search terms. you will more likely find a decent amount of threads with notation of "junk yard" and getting a "heater core" from some vehicle.

if tractor has an option for a larger "alternator" i might push ya to go that route, if still wanting a 12V fan. so you do not end up with a dead battery. cab version of same make/model normally have a larger alternator, some times it is still an optional upgrade pending on manufacturer / make / model.

if you end up going with a "heater core" and tapping into coolant lines. make sure you add some sort of "bleeder" valve in highest location, so you can bleed out the air. and would suggest if room installing a bypass for summer.

/ 12 volt heater for cab
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am not sure which route to take for now. 12v sounded like the fastest way of doing it compared to a heater core with lines to the rad. I found out the Ck30 has a 50 amp alternator is that good enough to run a 12v heater.

/ 12 volt heater for cab #7  
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am not sure which route to take for now. 12v sounded like the fastest way of doing it compared to a heater core with lines to the rad. I found out the Ck30 has a 50 amp alternator is that good enough to run a 12v heater.

My Mahindra had either a 40 or 50 Amp alternator (can't remember which) and the 12V ceramic heater worked fine for many years. I didn't have a lot of cab space to run heater hoses so chose the 12V route.

/ 12 volt heater for cab #8  
As previously stated . 300watts is awful scrawny and will only clear a peep hole to look through. At the expense of using up most the alternator's charging capacity .
Some sort of bulk heating from engine coolant is required . Although some applications successful use the instant heat from engine exhaust . The shops that supply parts for home built aircraft carry the heater units.

/ 12 volt heater for cab #9  
I too think that 300 watts is not enough heat and yet too much continuous draw for most tractor electrical systems. Especially at night with lights in use. I can't begin to imagine the grief and cost that such an experiment might cause.

/ 12 volt heater for cab #10  
I have tried both of those electric heaters that you are considering and my cab seals up very well. Don't waste your time for your money. It will help keep the window defrosted if it is shooting directly along it but that's about it. I added be heater made by cozy cab that hooks to the tractor cooling system and that thing is amazing plus it is a very powerful fan that I use to keep cool in the summer.
One thing I used to do before I had a heater was put 110 V Space heater inside the tractor with an extension cord run to it for about five or 10 minutes before I wanted to use it. That helped take the chill off as long as I didn't have to run the tractor too long. But I am very very happy with my heater now I can go all day. Most times I have to cycle it on and off because it will get too warm.