12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert?

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I am putting in a road and need to install 3 different culverts under farm road.

Overall, they are relatively shallow unless I do a lot of road buildup in order to get enough coverage to meet 18 minimum. I suspect, putting the culvert at 組rade with water flow, with a 12 culvert, I壇 have between 10 coverage over the top. I壇 have to do quite a bit of road buildup for a long distance in order to 都often�he culvert bump adequately.

At this moment, the local NG service is putting in a new 12 NG line across my property. They are extremely nice and asking if they can help me do anything while they are there 9n the place. I mentioned I was moving my road to a new road! But need to install a new culvert. I was just taking with them and one of the main construction leads asked if the amount of water would be handled by a 12 pipe? I知 sure it would, as with my new road build, I知 diverting the large portion of runoff around rather than under the road. They å�Œffered using some 12 NG steel pipe as a culvert if they have some pieces é¼*eft over?

I know that would be the size I壇 use for a culvert. The only question I have is whether I can avoid a big 蘇ump in the road if I use the steel pipe rather than HDPE culvert pipe of the same diameter.

Any thoughts? I have another spot that I could really use a 12 high strength lower coverage culvert as well. I gues worse case scenario is that it crushes or fails somehow, down the road. In which case I壇 have to remove it and begin again. But, if it worked and I didn稚 have to make a big hump over the waterway, I壇 be a lot happier with how it functioned and looked.

Do you see any problems with going that route?

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #2  
I don’t know how thick the pipe is but I’m guessing pretty thick. I don’t see any need to bury 18” over the top. That’s hardly ever possible around here and culverts don’t get crushed except for the ends.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #3  
I would say go for it! I found some salvage 1/2" wall 12" pipe for .20/foot which is a good price and your getting pipe for free. Leave the yellow jacket on and it should outlast you. Especially if you grade it so that no water sits stagnant in the pipe.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #4  
It is routine around here. There are a lot of big underground pipelines that get replaced every 30 years. The gas company cannot scrap pipes for a year as they pickup a tiny bit of radioactivity from being in shale for 30 years so they have to wait until it dissipates. They're happy to have sections taken off their hands. The same shale that leaks radon gas into some basements but it isn't like a culvert is something you'd put in a kids room.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #5  
You didn't mention the wall thickness?

I've got a dozen or more dual wall plastic culverts on public rural gravel roads with 12" or less of cover. 80,000 semi truck loads of grain cross them. I've never had one crush.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert?
You didn't mention the wall thickness?

I've got a dozen or more dual wall plastic culverts on public rural gravel roads with 12" or less of cover. 80,000 semi truck loads of grain cross them. I've never had one crush.

I don't know the thickness. I can go measure what they are putting in this weekend and see. Given it is a main line pipe, I'd expect it to be relatively thick. I've seen it out there, but never up close. I'll measure it and post. I'm hoping they have some 'cut pieces' available. I think I'll have them leave it all.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #7  
Would assume the NG pipe is fairly thick gauge. Would think it would work great even with 6 inch’s of coverage.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #8  
I like to have 12" of cover on a culvert,
but most of the ones in my driveway have 6" to 8" and fuel and gravel trucks drive over them routinely with no issues.
I actually had one poly double wall were the driveway got down to an inch or less on before I had more gravel brought in,
it did oval a bit, but not badly where the tire tracks where when the tri-axle load of gravel backed over it to dump.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #9  
Shallow buried culverts retain their shape because of the material beside them rather than the material over them.

/ 12 steel Natural Gas pipe for culvert? #10  
Shallow buried culverts retain their shape because of the material beside them rather than the material over them.

correct :thumbsup: