12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper)

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Quickie project this afternoon. 2013 F150 had abysmal reverse lights. I replaced the taillight bulbs with Samsung LEDs they suck. They were advertised as 10watts but they were 2.5watts. Less light than original.

I decided to add 12 more LEDS. These new LEDs are 1.8watts each and there's 12 of them totals 21.8watts.

I looked at lots of accessory reverse lights and could not think of where to put them where they would not be in the way, or be constantly "re-adjusting" their aim. Decided to drill holes in the bumper and do it like this.

F150reverse46.jpg

F150reverse45.jpg

F150reverse40.jpg

F150reverse39.jpg

F150reverse41.jpg

Here's a pic of the driver side mirror.

F150reverse42mirror.jpg

The lights require a hole about 11/32", I used 3/8". They are in an aluminum threaded housing, and at 1.8watts, will get hot. I have a feeling they won't last long if screwed into plastic, need to be screwed into metal to dissipate their heat. Some reviewers had trouble with them NOT screwed into metal.

I got them on AMAZON here, cost is $20 for 12 lights. They are called "Hot System Eagle Eye 9 watt" which doesnt make sense. The LEDs are 1.8watts each and 12 of them is 21.6watts.

F150reverse32.jpg

Lights are 3 inches apart and wrap around the side.

F150reverse31.jpg

Pretty happy with this mod!

Last edited:
   / 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #2  
I have a few of them I need to mount on my SxS so I really liked your review/input. Thanks for posting!
If they last (like I hope) they will be a great deal - nice to have a little extra light where you want it.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #3  
So what did you do on the inside of the bumper to protect the wires from gravel and ice?

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper)
I have a few of them I need to mount on my SxS so I really liked your review/input. Thanks for posting! If they last (like I hope) they will be a great deal - nice to have a little extra light where you want it.

Mine are on only when transmission is in "reverse". Sounds like you will run them continuous, and be mounting them on plastic. You might consider putting them on a large Stainless Steel fender-washer to radiate heat. Could put one in the inside under the nut - but on the outside is more effective.

So what did you do on the inside of the bumper to protect the wires from gravel and ice?

Nothing. Thanks for that vision of a large ice dingo-ball hanging on the wires…..:mad: Will have to rig up a cover before winter.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #5  
I wonder if that would be legal in Va. We are only allowed two backup lights. We could never get that through inspection.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper)
Hmmm,,,,,, 14 lights. To be legal in VA I'd have to buy 3 more cars!

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #7  
Good idea on the washer! Think I will hook them to my backup lights so hopefully they real long at a time but the metal heat sink will help I'm sure.

VA is sure strict - heck around here they never said a thing about me having 4 total backup lights on truck. I back a boat up at night so I wanted some BRIGHT backup lights and the factory one sure didn't cut it.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #8  
Maybe you could get around the law by adding a manual switch? Dont know.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #9  
Add an On-On Switch.
When up you will have a manual override and when down they can be automatic with the shifter.
Use an on-Off-On Sw and get an off position in the middle.

On my last Ranger I used an On-On Sw with a Red Safety Cover and small flashing LED Indicator Light for the reverse lights.
When in manual mode the red cover is flipped up and the LED Indicator is flashing, when in auto mode the red cover is down, no LED Indicator when the trans is shifted to reverse.
Worked well that way never left them on, thinking this Ranger needs the same setup for the reverse lights but LED Reverse Lights this time.

/ 12 Mini-LED reverse lights (drilled into rear bumper) #10  
2 if by land, 14 if by sea?