1100c muffler bolt mod

/ 1100c muffler bolt mod #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I just performed a 300 hour service on my 1100c. The muffler bolt was EXTREMELY difficult to remove. I felt like I was on the verge of breaking the bolt head off. Actually, I'm surprised I didn't.

Yes, I have removed the bolt before at the designated time.

For a moment, I was thinking of just putting it back in and never servicing it again.

However, I kept going and it came out.

So I thought about putting "anti-seize" on it and re-installing, but figuring it was the soot that was the problem, I decided to do one better.

The bolt is magnetic so I don't think it was titanium.

I first used a wire brush dremel attachment and removed the soot.

Then I decided to use an abrasive disk to taper the end of the bolt, where it gets the most soot.

The few sparks it threw were orange, so I do think it was some grade of steel.

It was still difficult to install, so I again turned to the dremel and took off the high portions of the threads on the entire length of the bolt. This allowed for easy re-install.

Roast me ??

/ 1100c muffler bolt mod #2  
I found mine fairly tight as well. I use anti-seize and so far haven’t had a problem.

/ 1100c muffler bolt mod #3  
Mine broke a couple years ago, I drilled it and put a smaller bolt thru, very hard metal ! When I had hole thru it I did the tap with mallet while running , but no significant soot came out, will worry about it if exhaust seems constrained , otherwise leave alone. I figure my Bx2660 tractor has same engine and its exhaust has no such maintenance requirements.