105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage?

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #31  
Every time somebody posts something like this, I wonder what the comparison would be like if you put duels on the back of a 4x4 tractor and compared that to a 2wd tractor with duels? Seems to me that 4x4 is gonna have more traction, and be able to get more done.
Sure the MFWD tractor will have more traction, but it won't have mower power.

And, at some point having more traction without more power won't help get more work done...

SR

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #32  
For purposes of efficiency you need to consider the losses in pushing non driven wheels through tilled ground. As a tire sinks in more power is used pushing dirt out of its way. A powered wheel just climbs on top.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #33  
These MFWD vs 2 WD discussions make me wonder why the World citizens didn't die of starvation before the MFWD tractors were introduced!!!!!!!!

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #34  
These MFWD vs 2 WD discussions make me wonder why the World citizens didn't die of starvation before the MFWD tractors were introduced!!!!!!!!

I see your point. Grin. In my case had I had 4wd my JD 4010, the front tires wouldn't have slid off into the muck when trying to dig out my pond during a drought. Nor would the front end have sunk in the muck trying to remove some trees from another pond to name a couple. The 6530 thought it wanted to get stuck several times but engaging it saved the day. I never had a 4wd vehicle of any kind before the 6530 but I now see they have their usefulness.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #35  
That's a tough call depending on soil conditions. I have an 89HP, 9000 lb Deere 5520 4WD with Firestone radials, rear weights and it's a perfect tillage tractor for me. The tires make a world of difference. It also floats through the damp spots. True, duals on 125HP will work hard but it's hard to get in the barn and easy to hit things with the extra width. The 4WD gets my vote.

Last edited:
   / 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #36  
so here at the farm this weekend and when I say farm I mean we take care of 707 acres..............varies in row crop, CRP, timber - personally I don't have the funds with dad to have a 4x4 in large size, how did I come about this decision 95% money and then my neighbor that rents our 80 for row crop - ( who is one year younger than me we went to school together ) dad and I just upgraded - so since he is a Deere man - his family had fords when I was growing up and worked for them - So he like me has been around tractor s and farming all his life - they had a 9600 7700 and tw20 for big tractors, they still have the tw20 and 9600 but now has expanded to all 4wd for tillage - so I talked to him before I purchased mine - he said Robert to do what you need to do with large tillage 1st don't short yourself on HP - second he said is weight he said I have had to abandon the 6000 series deere as they just aren't heavy enough for my needs even in 4wd and then I run out of power - he runs 7000 and 8000 series for everything but hay, he uses his 6230 for haying and its probably close to 12K with a loader. He still runs duals on his 7K and 8K series 4wd tractors if that tells you anything about traction even with a 4wd.

he said his tw20 and 9600 2wd with duals would work circles around the 6K series - so as we all know, there are many variables here to consider but I am going with the guys with real life day to day experience, weight and power will forgo a 4wd unless you are comparing apples to apples - so in this case with the OP being power/weight - im going 2wd duals - running out of power is a sickening feeling and wears you out dealing with it

I mowed some of the thickest CRP yesterday for 6 hours then disked for another 6 - 15ft batwing and 18foot disk, there is no way I could have done what I did with an 85hp tractor that is why I traded our 89hp 706 to a 5088 both IH tractors Dad and I and 5088.jpg

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #37  
duals on 125HP will work hard but it's hard to get in the barn and easy to hit things with the extra width. The 4WD gets my vote.

Other problem with duals is tight turns and drag implements with wide/short tongues.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #38  
I guess you guys don't match your tools to your tractor?

SR

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #39  
I don't have any troubles turning or getting into the barn - I was taught just get a run at it!!! :laughing:

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #40  
Which will pull better for tillage purposes, such as pulling a chisel plow, offset disk, ripper plow, etc.?

If the 105 HP is slipping excessively while plowing, the ground is too wet. Even the 1,000 acre corn farmers with articulated 8 wheel tractors don't plow when the ground conditions are wrong.

Feeding hay in the winter is different because you have to do it no matter what condition the ground is.