100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I noticed on my tractor the manufacturer used R16 hose for the loader. This is a 27hp CUT so things are a little tight. I am in the process of designing my rear remotes. It seems the R16 with half the minimum bend radius as R2 would be advantageous. What would be the down side of using R16 over R2?

I am also planning on mounting the quick disconnects on a plate mounted to the tractor. How much space should I leave between 3/8" QDs so as to be able to use them easily?

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #2  
The only downside to 100R16 hose is if it is going through a pulley or a retainer designed for 100R2 hose. otherwise, I would pick 100R16 hose any day over 100R2.
As far as qd spacing goes, do a mock-up and see how easily or not you can get to everything.

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #3  
Eric: I'm following right behind you; ordered the valve from Baileys yesterday. How are you thinking of mounting the QD's to a plate- nipple and lock nut? As far as spacing goes, it's sure nice to be able to get your hand all the way around the release collar.

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs
Forester,
I was looking at the bulkhead fittings from discount hydraulic hose. Which side of the coupler were you planning on attaching? From what I have seen it looks like most people mount the female end and have the male end on the implement side. I would think the other way around would be easier to operate. Some here have also said to have one of each mounted so when you disconnect the implement you can just couple the two ends together to keep the dirt out. Where are you in western NY? I am actually east of Rochester in Ontario.

Discount Hydraulic Hose.com

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #5  
Males on the implements because the males are cheaper. Plus I have one RR now that has females. I gues it really wouldn't matter that much because 2 of the new remotes will be dedicated to a TNT. I've seen clamps to go over 1/2 females @ TSC but haven't found them for 3/8th yet. Might make something out of Al., nylon or maybe just Trex. I'll buy plactic plugs for the couplers. Looking for more sources for the multi colored coded ones (a guy on ebay has them). Are you still using the reusable fittings/ expensive but quick payback if you need to replace a hose. I live just south of Buffalo.

I was planning on using the reusable fittings to make my life easier to determine optimum hose length. I am thinking I might like the 100R16 hose over the 100R2 so that will put me back to crimp fittings. I have not found reusables for the R16 yet. I was planning the location of the valve and the mounted QDs and it looks like they will be very close together which means there will be little room for error and the possible need for a more flexible hose. I am hoping to find someone local where I can get the fittings and some hose, take it all home, cut the hose as needed then take it back to them to crimp.

If it is mostly a cost issue to put the males on the implement I think I will do the one of both for each remote. This way I wont have to think each time which hose goes on which coupler and I can connect the two hoses together when not in use. I am not planning on having a lot of hydraulic implements. Like you two are going to the T-N-T so QDs might not really be needed and currently I only have a post driver to use on my third spool.

I did find an Aeroquip catalog online and sure enough they make a reusable fitting for one wire R16 but not two wire R16.

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #8  
I was planning on using the reusable fittings to make my life easier to determine optimum hose length. I am thinking I might like the 100R16 hose over the 100R2 so that will put me back to crimp fittings. I have not found reusables for the R16 yet. I was planning the location of the valve and the mounted QDs and it looks like they will be very close together which means there will be little room for error and the possible need for a more flexible hose. I am hoping to find someone local where I can get the fittings and some hose, take it all home, cut the hose as needed then take it back to them to crimp.

If it is mostly a cost issue to put the males on the implement I think I will do the one of both for each remote. This way I wont have to think each time which hose goes on which coupler and I can connect the two hoses together when not in use. I am not planning on having a lot of hydraulic implements. Like you two are going to the T-N-T so QDs might not really be needed and currently I only have a post driver to use on my third spool.

Why not mark the hose for cutting. I don't think they like for someone else to cut hose. They use a motorized cutting wheel, that gives a good square cut. Also, some of the shops don't like to or will not guarantee the product if you bring it in. If you can watch them, look and see if they blow or clean out the hose.

If you use the break away couplers, they make a mount for the QD's

J.J. thanks again for the info. It doesn't matter to me who actually cuts the hose. I just need the fittings so I can accurately measure the short hoses. I can estimate the length then buy that much, bring it home mark it and let them make the cuts. In terms of blowing out the hose, if I can't watch them do it does it matter if I just do it after I get the assembles hose home? Break away QDs would be nice but I am just using the Faster QDs from Bailey. I am still planning on mounting them using bulkhead fittings.

/ 100R2 vs 100R16 hose and space between QDs #10  
You can put a wrap of colored electricial wire around the hoses at the breakaways and just have a different color for each matched pair.