1000 Hours

/ 1000 Hours #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Getting near the 1000 hour mark - need 3 more hours to make it. Other than obvious filters, oils and general look over is there anything in particular I should be doing?

/ 1000 Hours #2  
I looked at my manual and it advises at every 800 hour service interval, checking/adjusting valve clearance? I haven't got to those hours, so I don't know if it would need an adjustment or not.

/ 1000 Hours
VW,

Thanks.

How many of you have had the valve clearance checked and adjusted? Is this an expensive procedure? Can they do it on site?

/ 1000 Hours #4  
I would imagine some members do their own. I used to do this on car and truck engines and from the parts diagram, the tractor engine doesn't seem any different, so I'll end up checking my own. You just need to remove the valve cover, have a set of feeler gauges for the proper spec, and wrenches that fit. If you haven't ever done valve adjustment before, it's nice to see done but isn't complicated. A dealer could do it on site, but you be paying for their travel time and I would guess an hours labor.

/ 1000 Hours
VW - thanks. I would much rather have someone more mechanical incline than me do the work. So probably around $180 for service... plus our lovely 15% tax!

/ 1000 Hours #6  
Most makers say to check valve clearence between 800 and 1000 hours...it's not too bad of a job if you do it yourself...You should also check your injectors while you're in there....never hurts to check steering play too.

/ 1000 Hours #7  
Most makers say to check valve clearence between 800 and 1000 hours...it's not too bad of a job if you do it yourself...You should also check your injectors while you're in there....never hurts to check steering play too.

How do you check injectors? Do you mean leaks or what? CJ

/ 1000 Hours #8  
You might need to take it to a dealer or a fuel injection shop becuase you have to hook them up to a pressure gauge and check that their supplying enough fuel at the right PSI...it's kinda tricky.

/ 1000 Hours #9  
How do you check injectors? Do you mean leaks or what? CJ

You use a pop tester which is like a bottle jack with a pressure gauge that connects to the injector. Using a lever to gradually increase pressure you test for (1) zero leak before pop, (2) pop (sprays fuel) at the correct pressure, (3) proper spray pattern, and (4) no after drip. There's considerable art to this and the high-pressure spray can penetrate skin (very dangerous).

Maybe you have a diesel shop nearby that will just check them for not-too-much money. They can probably rebilld them, if necessary, but a new one may be almost the same cost.

Checking/adjusting valves is a necessary task but I don't think you need to mess with the injectors unless you are having problems (rough idle, smoke, low power, etc.)

/ 1000 Hours #10  
You might need to take it to a dealer or a fuel injection shop becuase you have to hook them up to a pressure gauge and check that their supplying enough fuel at the right PSI...it's kinda tricky.

I was just curious if I had missed something with these Daedong engines. I have been working on Diesels for 30+ years and always wanting to learn. CJ