10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture)

/ 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture) #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
1st thing, it works, to a point.I can pull it ok with a full box of dirt. I can't stick it in the ground and roll the dirt up like I want to, just stops the tractor, but if I'm easy with it, it works ok. I don't run out of power, just traction. I've moved a lot of dirt already.

2nd thing, I can't find any shanks that will work with it. Every thing I find is too short as far as box blade stuff goes, (18 inch max) and if I go to the ag stuff, way too expensive and, I'm afraid the shanks that I think will work will most likely bend. still studying this issue. May have to make my own.

3rd thing, I replaced my rear tires this last summer and did not put the liquid ballast back in. I thought the 320 pounds of cast weight on each side would be enough. Wrong!! Turns out I lost about 640 pounds (if my calculations are correct) from each side. This really hurt the way the tractor pulls but mostly, it makes it scary on my mowing jobs. I mow some sloped areas and the rear of the tractor tries to slide downhill now. Never did that when I had the liquid in the tires.

Final observation. This blade is too big for this tractor but I 'can' use it so I'll keep messing with it for awhile. it needs at least 100 horsepower and a lot heavier tractor to be efficient, but hey, it didn't cost a lot.
I guess I need to buy an M5-111 so I can use this cheap blade. NOT

This blade may be for sale at some point but not right now.

Correction edit!! my math was not correct. I lost just over 400 pounds of liquid ballast weight. According to rim guard, putting their product in my tires should add over 500 pounds per tire.
413170073_2330609723995089_2665033200790407736_n.jpg

Last edited:
   / 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture) #2  
A torch and welder can make it into a 8ft scraper. :D

I don't know how tractors compare, but our old John Deere A used an 8 foot scraper OK in field dirt contouring and road maintenance, but it wasn't used for digging into undisturbed soil.

Bruce

/ 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture)
A torch and welder can make it into a 8ft scraper. :D

I don't know how tractors compare, but our old John Deere A used an 8 foot scraper OK in field dirt contouring and road maintenance, but it wasn't used for digging into undisturbed soil.

Bruce
Well, I could do that, I have the tools but...well just but. I am working mostly undisturbed soil. Hard as a rock at times.

/ 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture) #4  
Allen, there is a good reason for my tractor to be the way that it is as you now know firsthand.

Double the recommended weights, front & rear as well as all 4 tires being filled and handles extremely well.
With the weight it handles like the next larger frame size, is better all around for my purposes, but it still is not a 120hp machine.:( I just can't pull what the ole D6 can. o_O

Attachments

• P9270001.JPG
    P9270001.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P5270006 4.JPG
    P5270006 4.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 48
   / 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture) #6  
dozer would pull it real nice. as you mention, too much working surface for the tractor

Allen, there is a good reason for my tractor to be the way that it is as you now know firsthand.

Double the recommended weights, front & rear as well as all 4 tires being filled and handles extremely well.
With the weight it handles like the next larger frame size, is better all around for my purposes, but it still is not a 120hp machine.:( I just can't pull what the ole D6 can. o_O
Hey it's been awhile but I remember the posts we exchanged. Yes the weight is important. I don't know what the D6 is but regardless, horsepower and weight are important.
Ya know, this blade pulls harder than my 3 bottom plow. That surprised me.

dozer would pull it real nice. as you mention, too much working surface for the tractor
well in this case, the part of the ground that stopped my tractor was about 3 foot wide. My 6 ft box blade would have stopped the tractor too. There are so many factors involved here but still, the blade is really too big. As I said, I'll keep working with it.

If so, please let me know.

Not living in Levelland, I need to move some dirt around to make it more level.
Levelland is a literal description of this area. If I decide to sell, I'l; post it here.

/ 10 ft drag box scraper, 60 HP tractor and other discoveries (picture) #10  
My Kubota M6040 has 775 pounds of RimGuard in each rear tire. I have no idea how I could get that much weight in cast wheel weights. Let alone get that much weight attached to the rims.

Nuff said..........