/ #1 #1  

stvman

Gold Member
Tractor
A very tired Case 580 (looking to downsize)
Does anyone know what the current market% leader is. A Deere dealer told me they out sold KUBOTA last year. Is this true??

/ #1 #2  
stvman,

Can you clarify? Deere outsold them how, # of units, $ sales, # of compacts sold? Deere handles a larger variety of equipment last I knew than Kubota. And don't forget, New Holland is now part of CNH (Case New Holland) and they are the world's largest manufacturer of agricultural equipment...where do they come in at?

I would be skeptical without some kind of stockholder or annual report to look at.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ #1 #3  
I have resisted replying to this post waiting on Muhammad to give some real numbers.

With all the mergers that have taken place, you see John Deere on old Cat excavators and as Jim says NH is now a conglomerate so it is kinda like asking whether Scott sell more tractors than NH. Of course they do, but they are different kinds of tractors. You have to look at market segments to figure out much of anything that is actually sold and worth comparing.

Kubota is undisputed #1 in sales for compact tractors. Pick up a phone book or drive around in a large city and count the dealers and look at the size of them will tell you a lot. In North Texas, many of the tractor dealerships are located outside the city limits but within easy driving distance. John Deere Kubota,and NH are about equally represented in this area in terms of dealerships, however the Kubota dealership is huge.

/ #1 #4  
Well, I'm working on getting more current number than what I have - if my memory serves me correctly, Kubota was the leader in under-40 horsepower TRACTORS (at about 37%) ... define tractor, though. I'd guess that the numbers have changes though - not positive in which direction though. More info will come soon, I hope.

msig.gif

/ #1
Jim,
Sorry I didn't clarify . I was looking at a 4200 and he told me that in this segment of the market Deere overtook Kubota in the last quarter of 99 . He also sells Kubota but really pushed the GREEN

/ #1 #6  
Funny, my closest dealer sells JD and Kubota, I can't say he pushes either one, but I do know which one is his favorite and the one he would buy. Ask the right questions and it becomes apparent pretty fast which one they would own. Rat...

/ #1 #7  
Wen, there are no JD/NH dealers that I am aware of in my area, there are lots of JD and Kubota, NH and Kubota, but no NH and JD. By far, here in the central valley of California, Kubota dealers outnumber the others by a substantial amount. Just in the Sacramento area there must be about 10 Kubota/NH or Kubota/JD dealers. The vineyards in Napa, Calistoga, and throughout the rest of the north state use predominatly Kubota. Its one of the ways they sell them out here. The grape growers use them for one harvest season and then the dealers sell them as used. Most of them will have less then 100 hrs on them. As far as backhoes, the industrial backhoes, JD is king by a mile. It is so dominant, you see far more then Case, NH and Cat combined. The rental yards use JD 310's and 710's almost exclusively. Belleyscrapers are all CAT, graders are predominatly CAT, excavators are CAT and Komatsu, dozers are mostly CAT up to D11's and some Komatsu equivalent, the smaller ones like the D4's are both CAT and JD. There is so much construction going on here that on one stretch of highway, not to far from my home, I'll bet there are 40 D9's and D10's with kelley rippers, (the soil is so hard that the ripper gets in the ground about 6" per pass.) 50 excavators, and hundreds of backhoes. It is a sea of yellow.
Farmers go with everything, Case, old Masseys and International, CAT, NH, JD, and Kubota. The farms out here are big. Lots of 8 tire JD's and Case for pulling. The fruit and nut orchards seem to have NH/Fords around. Rat...

/ #1 #8  
Rat, your closest dealer wouldn't happen to be in Newcastle, would it? I got pretty much the same reaction from this dealer (who sells both JD and Kubota), although when I mentioned the JD steering geometry fiasco, he said it was nothing compared to the failed tranny problems! I find it interesting that a friend of mine bought a JD from them about 10 years ago (when all JD compacts were Yanmars), and at that time they thought JD was superior.

/ #1 #9  
That was a good rundown on California tractors.

When I was first transferred to Southern California, I looked around and there were no domestic cars there. Detroit didn't believe it for 10 years or more. Looked like a different world. Guess the same thing is happening to tractors.

Yes, been in El Centro many times and hard to believe they completely irrigated the desert to raise vegetables. When they say plant row crops, they do it in style.

Also had a little guy there come to every construction site and check the spark arresting muffler and check for tractor leaks. Wrote you a ticket and made you stop working until you got it fixed.

/ #1 #10  
sjvalin, Gold Country Kubota, I live in Newcastle. From Stockton to Chico to Woodland, there are so many dealers. I recently went up Highway 65 to Redding and took some back roads through the orchards and was amazed at the number of different dealers. How can that many exist and survive? Must be all the agriculture, there is a ton of it. Rat...