1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #161  
JD & Kubota make great compacts, but I’d take a look at Massey Ferguson before you sign on the dotted line.
I got my Massey Ferguson 1736 about 4 years ago.
This is not my first tractor but I am definitely more impressed with this than same HP machines from the other brands. It's a fantastic machine often overlooked in the sea of green and orange.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #162  
Pay no attention to him.
That same person pushes EV's and Tesla non stop.
Non stop eh? Exaggerate much?

I correct the misinformation, parroted as facts, about EV's by people who don't even own one.

But congrats on making my every growing ignore list.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #163  
Ha, yeah, I drove to his house and forcibly made him go to the nearest Yanmar dealer and buy one. That will teach him to comment on TBN. I'm on my way to your house next. You WILL buy a Yanmar and get rid of that ridiculous EV.

Don't quit your day job.

hur dur.jpg

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #164  
this is a really interesting discussion, let's not wreck it with personal attacks please
or maybe it's just all talked out?

I wish I lived closer to Messicks, about two hours West of me, and then I'd chose between Kubota and New Holland.
Maybe it's a PA thing...but New Holland is here. Though the home office is Turin Italy.

There are at least a dozen good tractor brands out there, many we don't have in the US.
I had a Massey built in India, what a well made all manual tractor that was, 50 hp, 2wd.
a world tractor, one they built a ton of, that's a big tractor in many places..., and then made it look pretty
with some gorgeous MF Ferrari red paint on its long hood. I walked past this low hour trade in (for a cab tractor in NC)
and just fell in love. Big three cylinder Perkins clone diesel, what a pure diesel racket it made.
This is why Mahindra has done well, there is a tradition of tough tractors there.
BUT...if you don't have a good local parts stocking dealer, I sure wouldn't take the chance.
I had three Masseys, Japanese, Indian and Chinese. Definitely a world company.
And the best, by far, was the 4707 built in a modern robotic factory in China to AGCO spec.
If you have a Massey dealer reasonably close to you, Massey offers high value out there not just lower price.

yes, I know the colors horribly mismatch. I replaced the vertical muffler with a belly muffler.
That Kubota colored Land Pride mower was awesome, just had to be careful when making turns near the fencing.
when it got really hot in NC, I'd get the cab tractor out and hook that up.

Attachments

• Masse 2615.JPG
    Masse 2615.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 27
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #165  
OK, so you can convert to SSQA - that's good. I'm sure the JD-branded implements are fine, but generally better to have a broad range of choices, i.e. let competition among the implement manufacturers work for you.
I have read a discussion that the oem JD quick attach is simpler in design and more importantly, weighs less.
The less the hitch weighs, the more lift capacity you have. Plus the SSQA sticks out a little further??
thankfully easy to compare lift capacity of comparable units regardless of what design they use.

I never found the SSQA version that foolproof to use. Maybe my aim was bad but
often had to fiddle and wiggle to get it hooked in. I wonder if the JD simply works better?

before you load on the dealer's oem implements, compare to Everything Attachments and other suppliers.
though I always found the premium paid for Land Pride equipment was worth it.
But for a bush hog, I went to Bush Hog...who also built my rear 84 rototiller.
For a rear blade and box blade I went to EA.

remember that a tractor is nothing but an implement carrier
so save enough money to get good implements.
if you have a 50k budget, don't spend it all on the tractor...
if you want the tractor to last forever, you will likely have the same expectations for your implements.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #166  
I had three Masseys, Japanese, Indian and Chinese. Definitely a world company.
And the best, by far, was the 4707 built in a modern robotic factory in China to AGCO spec.
I was told that my 2022 Massey 4707 was built in Brazil. I know that some of the earlier models where built in China, but then they built the new, super modern plant in Brazil. I have no idea when all this happened. My tractor has some parts with Built in France and Built in Italy on it too.

318110815_10229366738175621_5585696085344545774_n.jpg

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #167  
I have read a discussion that the oem JD quick attach is simpler in design and more importantly, weighs less.
The less the hitch weighs, the more lift capacity you have. Plus the SSQA sticks out a little further??
thankfully easy to compare lift capacity of comparable units regardless of what design they use.

I never found the SSQA version that foolproof to use. Maybe my aim was bad but
often had to fiddle and wiggle to get it hooked in. I wonder if the JD simply works better?

before you load on the dealer's oem implements, compare to Everything Attachments and other suppliers.
though I always found the premium paid for Land Pride equipment was worth it.
But for a bush hog, I went to Bush Hog...who also built my rear 84 rototiller.
For a rear blade and box blade I went to EA.

remember that a tractor is nothing but an implement carrier
so save enough money to get good implements.
if you have a 50k budget, don't spend it all on the tractor...
if you want the tractor to last forever, you will likely have the same expectations for your implements.
Some good points. Every increment farther out from the fulcrum (if that's the right term) reduces lift capacity, including, of course, the distance the SSQA pushes it out.

So far I've only had the loader bucket on my Kubota BX, but do take that off frequently to mow without taking the whole FEL unit off, and always goes back on super smoothly. Maybe it gets a little touchier with forks etc.; will probably find out at some point.

Probably would've been smart to add an implement or two to my initial purchase 6 years ago, as they financing was 0%, but was anxious enough about spending $ on my first tractor :) .

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #168  
I was told that my 2022 Massey 4707 was built in Brazil. I know that some of the earlier models where built in China, but then they built the new, super modern plant in Brazil. I have no idea when all this happened. My tractor has some parts with Built in France and Built in Italy on it too.

View attachment 862687
yes, current ones built in Brazil in similar all new high tech factory AGCO built there
mine was a 2019
mine came equipped with 34 inch Trelleborg radials which they later downsized to 30 or 32 I think.
34's were sized for 100hp variant but I guess when they built mine that's what they had.
those big radial tires were incredibly compliant.

OP has a nice Mahindra now, so I'm wondering if this discussion has helped him focus.
perhaps if we knew what he doesn't like about current tractor, that would help.
Mahindra makes mostly basic tractors that are a little heavier than average.
OP has a two ton tractor now. Perhaps a three or four ton unit would help in moving wood, heavy trees
on that woodlot.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #170  
You have no clue about EV's. Many reports of EV batteries lasting 300,000 miles or more. I own two EV's.

I'm glad you are happy with your EV's.

Normal people won't see 300K miles out of an EV, at least not without heavy and expensive maintenance. How many Teslas make it to 200K miles?

EV's have their place but, high mileage driving isn't one of them.

And yes, I have experience from several years with solar power and various battery configurations and chemistries. Even with a Tesla Model 3 running ~$15K with ~30K miles, I'm not going to buy one and I don't live up North where Winter is a concern.