1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #151  
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- resale ability down the way
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

Doesn't have to be JD or Kubota but that's my thinking.

TIA!
You will never find a tractor “exactly like you want”. There is no manufacturer that offers it and never will be. You are the one that has to work with t. Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody has one but uses what they have. Go get what you feel works for you and enjoy it.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #152  
Really, one of the many reasons I passed on the JD 790 was the wimpy looking front axle, uncomfortable seating position and lack of features compared to others in its class/price point.
Went with a Kioti DK 35 in 2001.
23 years and 2500+ hours its been great
I get my fuel and oil filters at the local Napa

Aye, I'd be real interested in what model Kioti @vallefarm was looking at. With respect to the legendary reliability of Yanmar built Deere tractors, I'd be curious what comparable Kioti had smaller axles. The front axles on the 790 are rather small, and the machines low FEL lift capacity is one of the results.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #153  
Aye, I'd be real interested in what model Kioti @vallefarm was looking at. With respect to the legendary reliability of Yanmar built Deere tractors, I'd be curious what comparable Kioti had smaller axles. The front axles on the 790 are rather small, and the machines low FEL lift capacity is one of the results.
I had a Yanmar built John Deere (JD 850) prior to my current Kioti DK.
It was a solid, reliable tractor, but my Kioti DK has been every bit as solid and reliable for me the past 23 years.

Last edited:
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #154  
Why do you continue to force Yanmar tractors on people? Let the OP decide.
Ha, yeah, I drove to his house and forcibly made him go to the nearest Yanmar dealer and buy one. That will teach him to comment on TBN. I'm on my way to your house next. You WILL buy a Yanmar and get rid of that ridiculous EV.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #155  
I had a Yanmar built Johnn Deere (JD 850) prior to my current Kioti DK.
It was a solid, reliable tractor, but my Kioti DK has been every bit as solid and reliable for me the past 23 years.
Only 23 years? Wait and see how it lasts once you get it broken in! 😉

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #156  
Ha, yeah, I drove to his house and forcibly made him go to the nearest Yanmar dealer and buy one. That will teach him to comment on TBN. I'm on my way to your house next. You WILL buy a Yanmar and get rid of that ridiculous EV.
Pay no attention to him.
That same person pushes EV's and Tesla non stop.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?
interesting anecdotal posts but....what is this thread really about? trading personal notes on name brands? not sure how definitive that can really be
OP: given your original statement, what is your thinking so far? regards
I don't really have an answer for you at this point but there have been some good and interesting posts. About the only thing I can say fairly confidently at this time is that I would likely not buy new and would seek out a non-computer tractor that fits my needs. As for now, the Mahindra 5010 is behaving decently, lol.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #159  
I agree, depends on the dealer
I bought my first subcompact as a young man a Ford 1520.
I was afraid of IH Case going out of business, JD in that size were built like a garden tractor with a bent metal frame instead of thw engine and trans being the frame. Kobota was cheaper but I wanted Made in USA..
Turns out even then Ford 1520 was made in Japan, assembled in USA, says the dealer. In 2012 I bought a NH 4060 as Ford became Ford/New Holland, then CNH, and Gods knows what now.
All my equipment is always in a shed. My 1520 is like new, never any issues as I maintained it.
My Boomer 4060 is a magnificent machine. I like the big three and am wary of the other brands, but again , the dealer is everything.
(BTW my dealership changed hands 3 times over the years with new names, new locations.. Good luck

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #160  
Just get a Belarus. Such a beautiful machine, plus it's orange like the K tractors. So Kubota/Belarus, Kioti/Belarus. That's like KB's, AKA Kind Budd. 🤔 See the connection?🤷‍♂️ It's a sign. It means you can become a cannabis farmer and grow that potent dank! 💩 Yeap, that's what you need. A Belarus!👍