1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #1  

livemusic

Tractor
Mahindra 5010
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- resale ability down the way
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

Doesn't have to be JD or Kubota but that's my thinking.

TIA!

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #2  
JD & Kubota make great compacts, but I’d take a look at Massey Ferguson before you sign on the dotted line.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #4  
I'm in a similar situation and use. I chose a MX5200 Kubota. Is it my last tractor? IDK but it does everything I need and could last my lifetime easily.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 203
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #5  
If you want brand new, then ease of working on it is going to be a problem. 2012 was the last year of tractors being easy to work on. Maybe 2013 with certain models, but that's hit or miss.

When I was buying brand new, I wanted the most HP I could get with a cab tractor, and not have DEF fluid. I felt that Massey Ferguson had everything I wanted. If I wanted a smaller tractor, I was impressed with Yanmar.

I have an older JD 5065E that is very simple to work on and I can buy parts for it online. I love buying online and not having to drive to the dealer, then waiting for them to come in, and then driving to the dealer to get them.

I believe there are also a lot of sources to buy Kubota parts online too. I'm not sure about all the other brands, but I would check before buying anything.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #6  
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- resale ability down the way
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

Doesn't have to be JD or Kubota but that's my thinking.

TIA!

Go to every dealer that is within a comfortable driving range for you. Then start looking at those makes and models. All the various manufacturers make a good tractor these days. Check out the dealers to get a feeling for them. Based on that feeling, then consider a unit that they can provide you. Get a tractor that is comfortable for you. They are not all the same and what feels good for one person does not mean that it will feel good to you.

Good luck with your search. (y)

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #8  
Go to every dealer that is within a comfortable driving range for you. Then start looking at those makes and models. All the various manufacturers make a good tractor these days. Check out the dealers to get a feeling for them. Based on that feeling, then consider a unit that they can provide you. Get a tractor that is comfortable for you. They are not all the same and what feels good for one person does not mean that it will feel good to you.

Good luck with your search. (y)
Good point. Some of these tractors are not meant for large people. Not sure how you stack up physically but I can tell that the Kubota tractor is built for a smaller framed/sized person than most resulting in some ergonomic compromise. Common to see keys bent over by the operators knee if he is 6 ft tall and gannon and gear/speed controls feel like they are in your side pockets.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #9  
Most all make a decent tractor nowadays. I think the key is the dealer. When I was shopping for a tractor, the local JD dealer was slicker than a scummy lawyer, the Kubota offerings in the size I wanted did not fit me ergonomically. I ended up with a Kioti, it has treated me well. Although after 11 years it looks like I am going to have to put a new battery in it and rebuild the loader cylinders. They don't lift as much as they once did. I am a little nervous as since I have moved, the nearest Kioti dealer is over 4 hrs away.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #10  
Your local situation is really important.

Our nearest JD dealer is worthless. The Kubota, a little less so. Part of it is they rest on their laurels because so many people think they are better. Customer service is non-existent for small operations.

Remember, the high prices you pay up front are going to apply to parts and repairs, too. That's great if money isn't an issue.

If everything, except tractor features and quality were equal, I would get Yanmar. Their biggest HP is 59, so that may not work.