1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I'm casually shopping around for a used 1 ton dump truck for my personal use. It would be used at my house and also my and my parents land for hauling material, firewood and occasional towing. My current 1/2 ton has provided me with good service, but I tend to beat it up when using it for "work". No matter how carefully I put things in the bed, dents and scratches appear inside and out. May father has larger trucks for his excavating company, but I've never gotten my CDL and I need something that I can use at my house which is 130 miles away. Even if I get my CDL, taking his truck for a week would not be possible or practical. So a reasonably priced 1 ton dump would be my best choice.

My insurance carrier has said that I can register this truck as a 3500 and keep personal plates on it. My state registry has been no help at all answering questions. I've heard many things like "all trucks over 10,000 lbs need commercial tags and registration, must be commercially inspected, etc." Nothing concrete.

Before I buy a truck, I'd like to budget the cost of owning/operting it. And to do so I need to clarify how it needs to be registered and insured. Could you guys give me some advice as to where to get the correct regulations for a truck that is typically used for commercial applications, but will be for personal use only? Seems like there are a good mix of people here that use these trucks for personal use as well as people that use their equipment for commercial business use.

Thanks!
Leo

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #2  
Check on your state DOT's web site. I think in Illinois, its driven by the GVW of the vehicle. Plus I think it's easier if its for personal use instead of buisness.

I to thought about getting a 1 ton dump truck, and ruled it out as not being cost effictive. I figures by the time you spend money on maintance, insurance etc., I'd just pay someone to haul rock and dirt for me. The big problem with them is that you just can't haul a heavy load. It does seem you can pick them up for a pretty reasonable price though.

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #3  
I have a 85 C30

Its titled as a Chassie cab. It happens to have a dump bed that you can take the sides off on for a flat side load bed also.

I have mine registered as a personal truck and insured that way also.

Ive used it for hauling material for my property and as a tow vehicle for the tractor. (although i have yet to tow anything with it)

mine also came with a snow plow.

its everything you expect a $1500 farm truck to be.

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #4  
in mass you can register a 1 ton as a personal vehicle just dont letter it,one ton dump is no different than a 1 ton pick up and being in ma myself i have seen a lot of 1 ton dumps,people haVE no money to keep them

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #5  
in mass you can register a 1 ton as a personal vehicle just dont letter it,one ton dump is no different than a 1 ton pick up and being in ma myself i have seen a lot of 1 ton dumps,people haVE no money to keep them try looking in mass .gov/dot rules if you find anything good luck reading and understanding it

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #6  
Up until last year, my 94 F-350 dump truck was considered "commercial" because it was rated at over 10,000lbs. This only meant that I had to have it inspected every 6 months instead of every year. When getting inspected I also had to have some extras like a backup alarm, body lights, and no rust holes what-so-ever.

Last year, the state changed the requirement to 12,000lbs plus. This means my 11,000lb GVWR truck is now just registered as a truck and I only need an inspection every 12 months. :cool:

I have a 1/2 ton Ram but if I am hauling a few thousand pounds of wood, rock, gravel, etc... I would much rather use the old diesel dump truck. Of course trips to Home Depot and Sears are left for the Ram.

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #7  
I have a 1989 Chevy C60 flatbed dump with sides with a GVW of only 16000 lbs. I too wanted a small truck to haul mulch, wood or whatever. I wanted something bigger than a "one ton" but not too big. (I do have a CDL) I have it insured with State Farm and the use is listed as commercial. I also have a commercial "weighted" tag on it. It is for personal use so here we don't need any type of inspection. I imagine the rules and regulations differ from state to state. If I used it in a commercial application in interstate commerce I would also need an annual inspection, daily inspection report, DOT #'s etc. In this slow economy I imagine you could find a great deal on a truck of any size or type. Good Luck

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #8  
I'm casually shopping around for a used 1 ton dump truck for my personal use. It would be used at my house and also my and my parents land for hauling material, firewood and occasional towing. My current 1/2 ton has provided me with good service, but I tend to beat it up when using it for "work". No matter how carefully I put things in the bed, dents and scratches appear inside and out. May father has larger trucks for his excavating company, but I've never gotten my CDL and I need something that I can use at my house which is 130 miles away. Even if I get my CDL, taking his truck for a week would not be possible or practical. So a reasonably priced 1 ton dump would be my best choice.

My insurance carrier has said that I can register this truck as a 3500 and keep personal plates on it. My state registry has been no help at all answering questions. I've heard many things like "all trucks over 10,000 lbs need commercial tags and registration, must be commercially inspected, etc." Nothing concrete.

Before I buy a truck, I'd like to budget the cost of owning/operting it. And to do so I need to clarify how it needs to be registered and insured. Could you guys give me some advice as to where to get the correct regulations for a truck that is typically used for commercial applications, but will be for personal use only? Seems like there are a good mix of people here that use these trucks for personal use as well as people that use their equipment for commercial business use.

Thanks!
Leo

I've owned/operated a 1/2 dozen of these trucks over the last 20 years. I think you're "over-worrying" owning one of these.

There really are no "regualtions" in my state for a truck like this. Anyone can own one for personal use. It's not much more than a dually pickup chassis with a heavier dumping bed on it.

Just buy it and insure it at high deductables as a one-ton if you want to keep costs down.

There's no great mystery to owning/operating one in my state, I see no reason for anything different in yours. No med card is required as long as you're under 17K, not commercial and staying in state.

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use
Thanks guys!

The heresay on the regulations in my state are what has me a little concerned. I think I may visit a state police barricks and see if I can speak with a DOT cop. My concern stems around the GVWR as I've heard that all trucks over 10,000 GVWR are to be regitered and inspected as commercial trucks. In Mass, as far as I can interperet the regulations, all commercial trucks must have certain safety equipment (like Derick said, back up alarm, fire extinguisher, road flares, etc) and the driver must carry a valid health card. That stuff is not really an issue, but I wonder if it ties into the commercial regulations regarding lettering, DOT #'s and the like.

Like Builder said, I'm probably over-thinking all of this. I could register it as a C30/K30/F350 (still looking) and maybe stick a "Not For Hire" sticker on the dump body.

Currently shopping around and so far, no luck. The trucks I've seen have all been 4x4, and just completely rotted out. I'd be OK with installing cab corners and rocker panels, but most of the trucks so far have had major frame corrosion. I looked at a 91 F350 last Saturday with 42K miles. Accidentally pushed a hole in the frame while climbing under to inspect! Been scoping out a few 2wd trucks though, and eventually I think I can find a decent truck for my budget of $2000-$3000. I realize at that price the truck won't be perfect, but as long as it has a good cab and frame, I can fix nearly evrything else myself.

/ 1 Ton Dump Truck for Personal Use #10  
Thanks guys!

The heresay on the regulations in my state are what has me a little concerned. I think I may visit a state police barricks and see if I can speak with a DOT cop. My concern stems around the GVWR as I've heard that all trucks over 10,000 GVWR are to be regitered and inspected as commercial trucks. In Mass, as far as I can interperet the regulations, all commercial trucks must have certain safety equipment (like Derick said, back up alarm, fire extinguisher, road flares, etc) and the driver must carry a valid health card. That stuff is not really an issue, but I wonder if it ties into the commercial regulations regarding lettering, DOT #'s and the like.

Like Builder said, I'm probably over-thinking all of this. I could register it as a C30/K30/F350 (still looking) and maybe stick a "Not For Hire" sticker on the dump body.

Currently shopping around and so far, no luck. The trucks I've seen have all been 4x4, and just completely rotted out. I'd be OK with installing cab corners and rocker panels, but most of the trucks so far have had major frame corrosion. I looked at a 91 F350 last Saturday with 42K miles. Accidentally pushed a hole in the frame while climbing under to inspect! Been scoping out a few 2wd trucks though, and eventually I think I can find a decent truck for my budget of $2000-$3000. I realize at that price the truck won't be perfect, but as long as it has a good cab and frame, I can fix nearly evrything else myself.

PA doesn't require semi-annual inspection until 17,000 GVWR. I would call a local truck inspection/service guy and ask him what the cut-off is in Mass.

Some other advice: I buy all my used equipment from down south or out west when possible. NE or mid-western vehicles & equipment are generally rotted out at the age you're looking for because of salt.

I just bought a 9 yr old new Holland backhoe that looks newer than my 2 yr old CASE backhoe did. I bought it from California. Climate is warm & dry, no salt. My '92 IH4800 came from central Florida, warm, no salted roads. People routinely say it looks like it's less than 5 yrs old, but it's 17 yrs old.

I know it's more hassle, but see if you can get a deal on a truck down in NC, SC , GA, FL, TN, etc. You'd be surprised how cheap it is to ship a truck or machine 1,000 miles. If it's clean & rust free, it's worth much more than the extra shipping costs. I had my backhoe shipped 3,000 miles from CA to PA and it was worth it! Even with shipping, I got a lot more machine than I could find locally.

Another thing is that prices are cheaper in the south.