1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor?

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #161  
That's just it. The "top quality" is a marketing myth. You also seem pretty eager to spend other people's money. $15+k is a lot of money for us regular people. That will buy any implements you want. Heck, you could get another SCUT without a backhoe for that much extra. If the B26 is good for your budget, I am happy for you. Personally, even if I had unlimited funds, I would not waste it on an illusion of superiority.
I remember you saying that before - that in your opinion top quality is a "marketing myth".
That sounds to be like your expertise is somewhere else rather than in mechanical things.

I'm a gearhead, & have been involved in every aspect of mechanical things my entire life - including manufacturing, dealership, and mechanical engineering. For us gear guys, top quality certainly does exist in mechanical things, it is often coupled with high cost of manufacture - and results in a product that costs more to buy.

I maintain - as do most mechanical guys - that differences in quality of manufacture are real. Especially in tools and commercial equipment I see a wide range in quality. It is simply superiority, and not an illusion.

I also agree that high price does not guarantee quality. One does not guarantee the other.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #162  
At 1.5 acres, with a structure and trees taking up a lot of it, and a slope to the terrain, I can't imagine needing a tractor. Zero turn will mow MUCH faster. You can get a leaf bagger or leaf sweeper to pull behind in the fall. When jobs need to be done, rent the perfect machine for the job.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #163  
Don't buy a ZTR at a big box store.
Agreed, not the same

I have my Kubota BX23S and love it, does everything that I need it to do.

If I still needed a heavier lift capacity for pallet forks, I'd be looking at something a bit larger ... B Series etc. we previously were beekeeping and lifting 1200 lbs of hives on pallets, with older, larger tractors. That is no longer the case.
it's only 1-2x a year that I think I would like something beefier, maybe next time. I'm on 7.5 acres so a second tractor may still be a thought, but that one will be a much older, cheaper tractor. Buy for your needs. Lots of advice, suggestions, knowledge and experience here on TBN

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #164  
At 1.5 acres, with a structure and trees taking up a lot of it, and a slope to the terrain, I can't imagine needing a tractor. Zero turn will mow MUCH faster. You can get a leaf bagger or leaf sweeper to pull behind in the fall. When jobs need to be done, rent the perfect machine for the job.

Found the buzzkill pragmatist. 🤣

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #165  
I can't argue too much with that logic, coz I myself for years got by with a Craftsman garden tractor and pull-behind cart on my 2.6 acre property. It could be done, but it's hella easier with a 4wd scut with loader and power steering. Hella lot!

Add a midmount mower, ballast box, some debris forks, and plow or blower, and that tractor is seeing year round use.

But some recommendations for the o/p on this thread, I gotta push back on them a little bit. Like backhoe or grapple, I mean yeh if he's got disposable income, those are nice! Like I got a hoe on my Massey GC...didn't need one, but I got a great deal on it so why not. I love the backhoe when I use it, but mostly it's off the tractor and parked in the barn. But I suppose if he wants to do a bunch of trenching or has lots of stuff he wants to dig up, maybe then.

Grapple, that's another one. Again, like how much use will this dude get out of a grapple on his 1.5 acres? Most likely, he'd get by just fine with some forks, spend the rest of the cash on coke and hookers (yes, I used that line again haha).

As for z-turn mowers, well I got me a stand-on one, and it's awesome! But then I got a bunch of lawn to mow, lots of obstacles and stuff...takes me about 2.5 hrs to do the whole thing. He's currently mowing with a walk-behind, which takes him 1.5 hrs. So doesn't sound like he'd have too much trouble mowing on a riding machine, whichever one...either way it would speed things up.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #166  
You have to prioritize what you want to do on your 1.5 acres. Then decide on a budget for the equipment. If the budget is cheap then get something used that's cheap to do that work you need. Like mentioned for 1.5 acres you don't need a $40,000 piece of equipment. Buy what you can afford and prioritize the needs. Easy.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #167  
We Could make an argument that you could do a lot of this with a ZTR and 4 wheeler or SxS; But, it Will be harder; and less productive than with a tractor. You would have to add some other stuff too (wagons, leaf vac, atv rake, winches, maybe an engine hoist); and probably be at the same $ to $ figure; with less resale value. You could haul sap in a wagon with a atv or SxS; you Could move 800 lbs rocks with a winch and bars; but it will take 10x longer, and be a Lot more work.

I still think a 'full figured' 25hp open station would probably do the best job, the most efficiently. I would start the look at Rk25/Tym T25, MF1526 size on up to the Koiti Ck2610/L2501/TYM2515; and where ever the JDs and LS tractors size fall in this area. I would want atleast 1000lbs rated loader lift capacity (thats probably too low; 24" of additional lever plus bucket; plus 860#...);

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #168  
I have a 50" ZT for a .195 acre lawn. I'm the envy of the neighborhood or the laughingstock. Who cares?

By the tractor you want OP.

Last edited:
   / 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor?
I have a 50" ZT for a .195 acre lawn. I'm the envy of the neighborhood or the laughingstock. Who cares?

By the tractor you want OP.

My neighbor has a 2038R on an even smaller lot, and so with my rough $25k budget I won't even have the most expensive tractor on my side of the street.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #170  
Do you “need” a tractor?

No!

What is your time worth? You can move material with a shovel and a wheel barrow. Or a front end loader. You can rent or buy a wood chipper and still have to move the chips to storage or sales or the chipper to the wood source, or the wood to the chipper. Can do it in buckets and an armful of long sticks if you want.

Anyway, you get it.

A tractor can be an investment in time and power. Your body can only handle so much. If your starting a business it’s just another capital investment. Buy one.

If it’s a personal thing… like because they are cool! Then it’s a harder decision unless you are flush with cash. Most of us aren’t.

So, go get a tractor.