1 2 3 4 let's have a thumb war

/ 1 2 3 4 let's have a thumb war #1  

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d,Tc45d,Cs 2520
I just purchased a nh 758c hoe and want to install a hydraulic thumb. To save time instead of fabbing up my own I was looking into buying a thumb and cylinder pre made. It seems that there are 2 choices cheap around 300$ for a mild steel thumb with no travel in hydro cylinder or expensive around $1000 for ar400 steel well designed lots of travel in cylinder. First ? anybody buy one of the cheap ones and have it twist up on them? Is it worthbuying a mechanicalthumb for $150 and then convert it to hydro. I think I have read all the thumb realated threads . But no one has a long term answer weather the cheap thumbs hold up. I was looking at the Gentec and Amulet 8x24 hydro thumbboth around a g .They seem to be a lot better design and build quality or are they over kill 4 a 758c. I also was interested in a quick release bucket for it but can't find any info on that.:drink:

/ 1 2 3 4 let's have a thumb war
no thumb experience on the hole forum?:drink:

/ 1 2 3 4 let's have a thumb war #3  
I bought one of the cheepies (The Thumb $350) years ago and installed on my pallet forks that I use on my skid loader. I use it to move brush and logs and big rocks. I have also used it to demo several barns and various other out buildings. It is my poor mans grapple bucket. I have used it a lot and have seen no damage to the thumb. That said, I would be hesitant to use it as a thumb on a back hoe or an excavator. The thumbs I have seen on that type of machine are much heavier.

Tim