044Mag Cyl. Inspection

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Greetings. I was cleaning up my 044 and replacing the exhaust gasket. I shined a light into the cylinder to check it out and could see very very fine vertical sctratches. No grooves and nothing on the piston. Very nice and shiney other than that.. I thought I'd ask what I have here? nothing to worry about? needs help? Or?. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / 044Mag Cyl. Inspection #2  
Which side of the cylinder are the scratches on? Intake side could be from fine debris making it past the filter. If that's the cause there will probably be wear on the intake skirt of the piston.

A certain amount of fine scratches or wear marks are common from normal use. A compression test would show if it's a problem.

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection
Which side of the cylinder are the scratches on? Intake side could be from fine debris making it past the filter. If that's the cause there will probably be wear on the intake skirt of the piston.

A certain amount of fine scratches or wear marks are common from normal use. A compression test would show if it's a problem.

Intake side. Very fine lines. I was surprised due to the filter system on the 044. Compression about 152. I'm going to sell it so I was concerned for the buyer. Seldom use the beast.

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection #4  
You have the HD filter set up on the 044? They let fines through is all there is to it.
See it all the time on a 440 that comes in.

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection
The filter system is the HD. Looks like it would stop anything. I pulled the Muff and showed it to the buyer and he said it was a no worry. Sold.
I'll check a couple others I'm going to sell. Thanks.

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection #7  
Trust me HD lets all kinds of fines by. A local 440 that comes in.

I owned a bunch with HD myself.

s440afi.JPGs440afb.JPG

/ 044Mag Cyl. Inspection
   / 044Mag Cyl. Inspection #9  
Is pic #2 missing the rubber seal? The I sold had one between the filter and the plastic. Nasty..

Nope not missing didnt have one since new. Look at the base, little different.
They did that later in the 440 bases with rubber seal deal. Duh on them.

Matter of fact I had a early 066 without it too.

s066old.jpg

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Coleman 4600 Generator w/B&S 8-HP Gas Engine (A33349)
Coleman 4600...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
8 Yard steel end...
8 Yard steel end...
Caterpillar 289D Track Drive (A33041)
Caterpillar 289D...
Caterpillar V50D Forklift, Triple Stage Mast Side Shift, Propane Gas, 4586 (A33349)
Caterpillar V50D...