0 turn hyd motor slow leak

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
noticed a slow leakage from a wheel motor on my zero turn (higher end hyd system). typically, when there is leakage under the motor itself, how involved is the seal replacement, & what are the causes for failure? it is slow but recently had to add a few cups to the reservoir.

is this a specialized service such as injector pump repair, or std procedure? thx in advance
the unit is an Everride Warrior has about 300 hrs, residential use

Last edited:
   / 0 turn hyd motor slow leak #2  
If you have confirmed that the leak is from the wheel motor, a good next step would be to get the Hydrogear numbers and visit their site for an IPL plus do a bulletin search on the general series. They have good technical people there as well.

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak #3  
depending on brand of wheel motor will dictate parts availability. Just a seal and gasket change ins't that complicated. Just make sure to keep things in order, and surgical room clean. Dirt and dust is the enemy. Any debris that gets inside that wheel motor will have an unfiltered path into the pump and damage it.

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak #4  
I just put seals in my Grasshopper motor. What’s your background working on stuff? An experienced wrench turner could probably do it. If changing a flat tire or changing spark plugs would be challenging than move along with plan b. IMG_1575.JPG

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak
hey thanks to all of you. yes it's hydro gear commercial grade. i'll check out the schematic on line, just not sure how far i have to tear into the hydraulic motor to get to the seals, etc.
have machining & mechanics bkgrd, so will proceed step by step....or let my good small engine guy have a look
thx again.

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak #6  
Is the leak coming from the body or out the shaft. Make sure to scribe alignment lines before you take it apart for reassembling. The alignment of all the separate plates is important.

/ 0 turn hyd motor slow leak
Is the leak coming from the body or out the shaft. Make sure to scribe alignment lines before you take it apart for reassembling. The alignment of all the separate plates is important.

good point, didn't know that not sure of the leak source, just noticed oil soaked dust bottom of motor housing
time to take a closer look thanks