TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,891  
My cartridge mistakes, if you really can call it that are:
6.5 Grendel: It really is good, but it doesn't do anything that 223/308 doesn't already do, for cheaper, with better supply of ammo
300 Blk: as discussed above
9mm Carbine: it's fine and all, but it's a trade off in size/weight for almost the same affect as a pistol
6.5 Creed; not a mistake, but wouldnt purchase it again, for anything less than 300 yards, it has the same results on both ends as a 308
410 Shot: I still like it for squirrels and snakes, but its hard to find ammo, it's expensive, and in the end, a 12/20 will do anything a 410 does for cheaper

Note: even with those; I still want a 28ga O/U, a 360 Buckhammer, a 22 Hornet, ect. It's a love/hate of the weird stufd....

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,892  
I was pretty tempted by 17HMR, but held out for a 22WMR that I wanted. It had to be RF for WMA regs for small game. Kinda wanted a 17WSM, but talked my self out of it. I do like the 22Mag, But it costs more to shoot than a 223, with 1/5 the power.
I like my .17HMR , I noticed I never get ricochets with it like I get with a .22 which is nice when hunting or shooting pests.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,893  
I like my .17HMR , I noticed I never get ricochets with it like I get with a .22 which is nice when hunting or shooting pests.
I like mine also! It has a little more umph than the pellet gun when the armadillos get too far out of range!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,894  
It's holdover that makes head shots tough at distance. Time to get the 93's barrel threaded?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,895  
It's holdover that makes head shots tough at distance. Time to get the 93's barrel threaded?
Nah, I will just go ahead and wake the neighbors! They can go back to sleep! They will appreciate me getting rid of the lawn destroyers!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,896  
And that might certainly be the case. I just have never had that application for it. The .17 HMR seems like it should be good for something, I just haven't found the right use for it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,897  
My cartridge mistakes, if you really can call it that are:
6.5 Grendel: It really is good, but it doesn't do anything that 223/308 doesn't already do, for cheaper, with better supply of ammo
300 Blk: as discussed above
9mm Carbine: it's fine and all, but it's a trade off in size/weight for almost the same affect as a pistol
6.5 Creed; not a mistake, but wouldnt purchase it again, for anything less than 300 yards, it has the same results on both ends as a 308
410 Shot: I still like it for squirrels and snakes, but its hard to find ammo, it's expensive, and in the end, a 12/20 will do anything a 410 does for cheaper

Note: even with those; I still want a 28ga O/U, a 360 Buckhammer, a 22 Hornet, ect. It's a love/hate of the weird stufd....
I've been a fan of the 6.5 CM (or .260 rem) and use it for varmint or medium game. Passing up the .223 for that purpose.

I'm also a fan of the .410 and have a Marlin 1895 .410 as my homestead gun. Great for snakes and chicken-house raiders, but also as a home defense gun. But I agree, a hard chambering to find. It wasn't always the case, but it is of recent years.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,898  
410 ammunition is scarce because not many guns are sold for it because 410 ammunition is scarce because not many guns are sold for it...

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,899  
The .17 HMR seems like it should be good for something, I just haven't found the right use for it.
I found .17 HMR lacking for raking shots on thick-furred pests like raccoons or feral cats at up to 80 yd. Running shots would not be well placed (usually wild misses) and lucky hits might not cause even an irregular step while escaping, much less ever leave a blood trail to track.

Then too, .17 HMR uses jacketed bullets like .22 Mag vs the beeswax or copper-wash of most .22 LR fare that typically 'season' a bore and need far less work to keep the copper out, .. like the Mag. Expect the smallest groups for a RF when you do though and if there's little wind.

IMO it's really not for everyone, but great for those who can use it. With my .17HMRs all loads were acurate, 17g in V-Max & TNT, the latter showing beter penetration on body shots or larger critters. CCI's 20g Game-Point was my favorite load, makes me miss having the Savage 93 BVSS. At least it went to a better home.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,900  
One of the few "modern" chamberings that I think has a lot of utility is the 6.5CM. In reality, it just succeeded in fixing the shortcomings of the original .260rem, but doesn't use the .308 parent cartridge.

For medium game (whitetail/pigs), I find myself grabbing my 6.5CM or .260 Rem. They've even replaced my original favorite, the .25-06, but mainly because I pick up the advantage of them being short actions.

For larger game or paid hunts, it's still the .300WM or .375 H&H.
The 6.5 CM is a great round but it offers essentially nothing new. I talked my buddy out of getting one. He already had a .270 so it was easy to show him that, within an ethical hunting range of 400 yards, it offered nearly nothing to be worth the $1200+ he was planning to spend on a new gun and scope.

In the end, he said he wanted something as accurate as my .308. I told him the hype in the gun rags about accuracy were just that...hype. He shoots less than 100 rounds a year and I have put 500k rounds downrange. Experience matters and shooting competitively matters. I also told him he flinches and that was his accurcy problem. Offered to shoot his .270 to prove it...he said no. Offered to have him shoot my .308...same answer.

BTW, I would be fine with the 6.5 as my main hunting rifle but I am heavily invested in the .308 (three guns, 2000 hunting bullets, 2000 cases, and three molds) and cannot see a reason to change. Adding more toys does not turn my crank.