Ireland

/ Ireland #21  
I enjoy Guinness when it's cold out, but it's pricey. We have a Texas beer here called Shiner Bock that is cheaper and tastes better.

If I ever go to Ireland, I would enjoy seeing the Guinness Brewery.

What's funny, is that for most of my life, I didn't realize that the Guinness Book or World Records was the same Guinness as the Beer Company. Who would of thought that a beer company would starts something so random and unrelated to making beer?

/ Ireland
A few more from today. Kilkenny castle, which is really often just a big house. Inside it had a great hall with a skylight. The entire ceiling had hand artwork as did the beams and columns. So many old buildings compared to the U.S.
IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3099.jpeg

/ Ireland
A couple from the Waterford Crystal factory. We did a tour and got to see it being blown and cut. They also etch it. A lot of hand work and the etchers have to do a 5 year apprenticeship to get the job. A pair of tumblers were $140 and there are pieces over $40,000. They also do one off’s and things like sports trophies.

The pictures are a crystal grandfather clock and a tribute to 911 responders.
IMG_2264.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg

/ Ireland #24  
A couple from the Waterford Crystal factory. We did a tour and got to see it being blown and cut. They also etch it. A lot of hand work and the etchers have to do a 5 year apprenticeship to get the job. A pair of tumblers were $140 and there are pieces over $40,000. They also do one off’s and things like sports trophies.

The pictures are a crystal grandfather clock and a tribute to 911 responders.
View attachment 866571View attachment 866572
Beautiful GF clock and 9/11 memorial. 🇺🇲

/ Ireland
We visited the Blarney castle today and I kissed the Blarney Stone. A very busy day. This is a three day weekend for the Irish, they call it a bank holiday and a cruise ship was in port which had 4000 passengers on it. It’s about a 10 story castle and it took a little over an hour to go up and get down. Very narrow winding steps on the way up and down. You have to lay down and almost hang down to kiss the stone, somebody helps you.

IMG_2290.jpeg
IMG_3132.jpeg

/ Ireland
We heard the story about the locals, it might be true but it sure looked like they could lock the place up pretty good. There is a guy tgere that helps you but they are also taking your picture to sell you later. We did watch him clean the stone off with some spray and a rag.

/ Ireland #29  
I had to do a search on why people kiss the Blarney Stone.

"According to Irish folklore, people kiss the Blarney Stone to receive the gift of eloquence and persuasiveness. The stone is said to have been built into the battlements of Blarney Castle by Dermot McCarthy, king of Munster, in 1446. The legend states that the stone was originally kissed by chieftain Cormac Laidir MacCarthy, who was advised by the goddess Clíodhna to kiss the first stone he saw on his way to court to gain the gift of eloquence and win his legal battle."

/ Ireland
We have two more days after today in Ireland. So far it’s been a great trip. It’s the first time we have really gone overseas. I’d say it’s a good place to start. We did a tour through GLOBUS that is 13 days long. It’s a good company but I’m sure there are other good ones. You get to meet a lot of people in your group and get to know them. The bus driver is good, lots of narrow roads and a big bus. The bus is 3 weeks old.

Today we took a boat ride to Garnish Island and walked around it. Lots of flowers in bloom and nice views. Then we drove to Killarney and did a horse carriage ride. The horses name is Rosie.
IMG_3170.jpeg
IMG_3219.jpeg
IMG_3187.jpeg