I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #1  

All In A Days Work

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701, Land Pride RB3784 Rear Blade, Bearcat SC5540 Chipper Shredder
I had not checked the tire pressure in my tires for couple years, it's not used all that much. I noticed they were bulging some the other day and decided to check the pressure, neither rear tire would indicate air pressure. I checked the gauge on front tire it works. I started airing up the tires, I could hear that the valve stem was below the fluid level. I checked 5 lbs. ok good, here is where things went bad. I just wasn't thinking clearly, the next thing I know I had 35 psi in one of the tires. I tried to let some out but after I lost some Rim Guard, I decided I needed to come up with another plan. The tires are the 17.5 x 24" Ag tires, the manual states that they would have about 600 lbs. of Rim Guard in each tire.

The dealer told me it would be best to lay the tire down to adjust the air. So here is the plan, in my pole barn there is a center beam that I thought I would hang a pulley from and then with my portable winch I could hold the tire while unbolting and then lay it down to let some air out.

How does that sound?

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #2  
If properly filled, the rimguard should be below the valve stem when the valve stem is at the top of the tires rotation. You should be able to release the over pressure without loosing the rimguard.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #3  
Yeah, drive ahead until the valve stem is at the top and it should be good to let out some air

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it.
That's what I thought, but nope I had the valve stem at the top and the rear of the tractor was jacked up. The dealer told me that at 75% fill it was above the stem. My manual shows it below the stem. So, in my mind the tires are over filled with rim guard.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #5  
Definitely sounds over filled

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it.
Do you think I should jack the back of the tractor up put the stem at the top and remove the core and just drain the rim guard out? I could probably arrange some sort of collecting device/pan so it doesn't make such a mess.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #7  
It's been more than five years since I've checked the pressure in the rear tires. Roll the tractor forward until the valve stem is at 12-O-clock high. Shoot a blast of air into the stem to clear any Rim Guard. Take your reading.

Every spring I move the tractor out onto the driveway. Drive over a dirt section. Check the bulge and check that I get a full chevron pattern all the way across the tire track mark. The bulge and chevron pattern are both OK - all is OK.

Last time I used a gauge to check - 15 or 16 psi.

All in a Days Work - if you are getting Rim Guard when the stem is at 12-o-clock - the tire is way over filled. Now - be sure this Rim Guard you are seeing is not just what became stuck in the valve stem. I would guess a normal stem would hold a couple tablespoons at max.

75% puts the level just below the valve stem. At least, in my 16.9x28 R-1 rear tires.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #8  
Do you think I should jack the back of the tractor up put the stem at the top and remove the core and just drain the rim guard out? I could probably arrange some sort of collecting device/pan so it doesn't make such a mess.
I would probably drive it for a few hundred feet if ya hadn’t already and stop with the stem at the top. Just let air out til it’s at 16 or so. I can’t imagine a ton of rimguard would come out but could be wrong. Either way it’s just beet juice so no harm in a small amount of spillage to get your tire right.

/ I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #9  
I've used barn beams for lifting before. Work as close to the wall/posts as possible. Preferably if you have some diagonal supports.

You'll probably minimize the height of the fluid above the valve if you lay the tire over with the valve side up on a 2x4 or 4x4 so the valve exiting the rim will be slightly above the rim on the opposite side.

Last edited:
   / I over inflated a tire that is filled with Rim Guard in it. #10  
So - You think the tire is overfilled with Rim guard?
Well just put the valve at the level you want the fluid to be and start draining it.