Super A won't start

/ Super A won't start #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
I've ignored my super A for 5-6 years, trying to fire it up, won't start. Been in a shed the whole time.

New 12volt battery, new alternator which I bought 6 years ago and installed yesterday, paper says ADR0152Y. Negative ground. New coil, internal resistor. Wiring matches diagram I got with the alternator for 12 volt conversion. No resistor before the coil. The 6 volt battery setup that was on the tractor previously was converted to neg ground with alternator, and a ballast resistor (I guess) in front of the old coil. I eliminated it because the new coil says internally resisted.

New plugs, plug wires. Carb getting fuel, maybe too much, I flooded it first try with too much choke, air cleaner got 1/2 cup of fuel in it.

Points look good, no rust.

Thoughts?

/ Super A won't start
Amp meter apparently dead, doesn't move at all. Ignition switch was working 6 years ago.

/ Super A won't start #3  
Are you sure you have spark? Pull a plug wire and check for bright blue spark, if none then run a wire from the battery directly to the coil and try again.

/ Super A won't start
I'll try that John. So what do I do- place the plug wire so it can ground out on metal and watch while I crank it?

/ Super A won't start #5  
Leave a small gap so you can watch to see if jumps the gap.

/ Super A won't start
No spark. Put the volt meter to it, getting 12v to the positive side of the coil, nothing to the other side. It's new, or was when bought 6 years ago, never used. Defective coil? Says ABC509 12V Internally resisted on it. I'll try a replacement. What's the right coil to use? Thanks

/ Super A won't start #7  
Check the points, rotor cap and button. Make sure none of the contacts have corroded. Corrosion prevents electricity from passing through the circuit.

/ Super A won't start #8  
If the condenser has been around that long replace it.....a bad one can play havoc on your system....

/ Super A won't start
Gonna replace points, condenser, cap and rotor. How do I verify the coil with a volt meter?

Thanks guys!

/ Super A won't start #10  
The way a ballast resistor setup works;
When the engine is cranking and the voltage is pulled down by the starter, the resistor is out of the circuit.
Once the engine starts and the key is in the run position the coil is feed through the ballast resistor.