Log splitter wheels

/ Log splitter wheels #1  

larrypac

Tractor
Case 448
The wheels on my Log splitter are very cracked and I found a new pair of wheels very cheap ($20 for the pair) at Mardens (if you're from Maine, you know about Mardens). Problem is the splitter axle is 3/4" and the wheels are 1". Is there any reason not to get a steel bushing to make them work? New wheels are probably $100 for a air and bushings shouldn't be more than $10 +or-. Appreciate any advice. Larry

/ Log splitter wheels #2  
Do you take it out in the roads? If not it’s worth a try. I’ve had two log splitters and the only time they’ve been on the road was to get them home.

/ Log splitter wheels
Pretty. much the same here, but I'm 74 and eventually I won't be able to use it anymore and I don't want to sell someone a problem. Also not sure if axles are undersized or i9f bearings are slightly oversized. Have to pull a wheel and do some measuring.

/ Log splitter wheels #4  
finally had my log splitter wheels foam filled since they were always going flat even in place. the real question is if you intend to transport your splitter on hwy.

always have a spare splitter tire if transporting on hwy! many don't. if one tire goes flat w/out spare & you have to abandon, the machine will be gone when you return.
a stationary log splitter is best. recommend foam fill for farm use, regards

/ Log splitter wheels
finally had my log splitter wheels foam filled since they were always going flat even in place. the real question is if you intend to transport your splitter on hwy.

always have a spare splitter tire if transporting on hwy! many don't. if one tire goes flat w/out spare & you have to abandon, the machine will be gone when you return.
a stationary log splitter is best. recommend foam fill for farm use, regard

/ Log splitter wheels #7  
HI Larry,

Just go to TSC (Tractor Supply) and get a 3/4 to 1" bushing for $3 if your not doing over the road use.

/ Log splitter wheels #8  
recommend finding a tire dealer/shop that specializes in foam injection for applications like this. also, if you decide to foam fill & transport on hwy, be sure the tire & foam are rated for hwy use, higher speeds, etc.

it's complicated. it really depends on how you transport your splitter. if you intend to transport yours on hwy frequently, i'd be looking at commercial rigs that are designed for for that use. mine is a 36T, & it does well stationary w/foam filled tires

/ Log splitter wheels
Just go to TSC (Tractor Supply) and get a 3/4 to 1" bushing for $3 if your not doing over the road use.
I measured the ID of the bearings and they are exactly 1" so are not going to slide on to a 1" bushing. No clearance. I don't own a metal lathe. Thought about using my wood lathe to spin a 1" bushing and using a file to create clearance. Kind of a frig though

/ Log splitter wheels #10