TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,371  
Tilled 1.5 acres to plant tomorrow. Got another 1.6 hours on the tractor.
IMG_20240414_184715~2.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,372  
My first tractor at age 9 was a Cub. Dad & I built a homemade wooden snow plow. Push rods, hop hornbeam trunks, pivoted under the seat. Made a L shaped of square tube piece passed through the casting behind the front axle. A plank cross member there had a square hole to keep the push rods centered between the front axles. "Plow blade" was flat of three planks on 3" angle iron verticals as frame.
It wasn't the best snow plow rig in the north, but it was better than the little snow blower we had before it. I plowed 6 driveways in thosse days.

The engine was at a rebuilder in 2011 when a flash flood went through the building it was stored in. Drained it. It still awaits reassembly.
That’s interesting. The Cub I have now is my second one. I bought my first one as a dedicated cultivating tractor. I bought into the “cultivation” hype, but after getting it, I was disappointed. The first single row tractor, that I cultivated corn with, was my grandpa’s 1949 JD model M.

With that, I could easily cultivate at high speed, keeping my head up as I lined up the rows with the center ridge on the hood. I couldn’t do that with the Cub. I had to slow down, lean over forward and watch the row beneath me. A few acres of that was enough to give me a stiff neck.

Besides slowing me down and the physical discomfort, that first Cub was also almost worn out when I got it from a large vegetable farm. That meant that it broke down regularly. I suffered with it for about 10 years and I rarely made it thru one without a significant breakdown. I saw a lot of my favorite Farmall mechanic.

I bought that first one for cultivating but I also made a snowplow for it, from one I found back in the junk pile, that came of an old lawn tractor. That was too narrow for the Cub, so I welded steel plates on each side to make it wide enough. The frame was too short, so I welded 2” pipe sections to the back on each side.

Those attached with bolts to threaded holes by the rear tires, and I used a length of chain wrapped under them and attached to the front cultivator attachment holes, so that I could lift it with the hydraulics. It took just minutes to put that plow on and off and it worked pretty good.

It was kind of “light duty” compared to the factory plow though, and I bent it up a few times on heavy snows. My father in law gave me a factory one he had from his old Cub, and I junked my homemade one. The factory one was a lot better for heavier snows but it took much longer to put on and off. I really liked snowplowing with that Cub, but it was such a money pit that I had to get rid of it.

I traded that factory snowplow to a guy for a 2-row 3-point Ferguson cultivator, that worked very good on my Ford 8n. I sold the Cub cheap to a friend at work. The like new rear tires and rims I had put on it and full set of cultivators were worth more than I charged him for it.

I certainly didn’t miss the cultivators or the breakdowns, but I did miss snowplowing with that tractor. The one I have now had sat parked at work for about 20 years. It had a snowplow on it. Clearly, it had very low hours on it. New leadership took over a few years ago and decided to clean the place up. I paid $783.17 for at the silent auction.

I borrowed my favorite Farmall mechanic’s winch trailer, and took it directly to his shop when I picked it up. He charged me $445 to put a new carburetor, belt and radiator hose on it, tune it up, and change all the fluids. I’ve had it for about two years now without any breakdowns. It’s about the funnest machine I’ve ever plowed light snow with. I’m glad I gave “red” a second chance.
IMG_2167.jpeg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,373  
I took my chains off today. If we get enough snow to need them for plowing I will stay home until it melts. :DView attachment 862407
Then sliced up a cedar log. View attachment 862411It's been sitting for a year and a half and the bark has peeled off but it's unbelievable how much dirt splashes up when it rains. I don't have SR's water supply but have learned to wash them off with a garden hose. That way I don't ruin a blade until I bounce it off a log stop... which I still haven't learned not to do.View attachment 862412
IF you have a good water source, hammering the logs with water really makes a difference, these were skidded through a sandpit,

IMG-0365-S.jpg

It cleaned them right up,

SR

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,374  
IF you have a good water source, hammering the logs with water really makes a difference, these were skidded through a sandpit,

IMG-0365-S.jpg

It cleaned them right up,

SR
I just have a garden hose but as you've mentioned in the past it's volume, not pressure that cleans them. I have a debarker for hemlock and other logs with heavy bark.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,376  
My wife said, the gutters need cleaned go get the tractor, so off I go to get the apple box on the forks, and we got after it,

Resized-20240415-160747-S.jpg

They really needed it too, so it took a while to go all the way around the house, but we got R done!

SR

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,379  
Moved a 30' log and cleaned up a downed widow maker for the neighbour. A little too cool for hoe work for me.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,380  
I put some trash in the bucket and drove out to the
dumpster

willy