Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,391  
A decent sized hard maple fell down across a trail in my parents woods. There wasn’t too many mud holes on the way back there, so I hauled up a pickup truck load (three trips with the carryall and my dad’s little JD 770).

There’s probably (2) more pickup truck loads back there. The tractor still had the tire chains on the turfs for snowplowing when I got over there. I took them off before I went back to the woods so I wouldn’t tear up the lawn too bad.
IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4296.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,392  
We had a late snow storm on Friday. About 10", which is a lot for this area. That's where the tractor was parked. Got lucky. Finished cutting this up on Sunday and got the tractor out. Lost a dozen or so large oaks like this one. Going to be a lot of clean up, but I'll have firewood for about three years after this.

IMG_8215.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,393  
Another nice day here today, sunny 70's, so I decided to run the BSM.

So, off I go with my loader tractor grabbing up this pretty nice older cherry, first trimming up the ends with my chainsaw and then loading it on the BSM,

Resized-20240408-135118-S.jpg

With that done, I started by taking the "slab" off and then a "flitch". I always use my winch for turning these bigger logs when working alone,

Resized-20240408-135118-S.jpg

I like to load the lumber and slabs on my pallet forks as it saves my back and I can move them later, to wherever I want them,

Resized-20240408-140953-S.jpg

anyway, I kept sawing around the log until I had a "cant",

Resized-20240408-141001-S.jpg

I try to "grade saw" these nicer logs, but sometimes you just can't because you are chasing all the tension that's in the log. Anyway, If I can, I like to make several cuts before idling the saw down, then moving the boards to the pallet forks,

Resized-20240408-143329-S.jpg

Anyway, here's the lumber I ended up with,

Resized-20240408-152122-S.jpg

as it's going to sit around a while before it goes to is new home, I put it on stickers. As you can see, there's some really nice lumber in the stack,

Resized-20240408-153230-S.jpg

With that done, it was time to kick back and watch the sun and the moon do their thing!

SR
Do you use the logs stops to square your cents? I like the idea of using the winch to roll them. I've been picking them up with the grapple, which sort of works.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,394  
Do you use the logs stops to square your cents? I like the idea of using the winch to roll them. I've been picking them up with the grapple, which sort of works.
Yes, I do keep the log post square to the bed, if needed my post are adjustable.

To be honest, the edge of a board doesn't need to be perfect, as the edge will be cut or ran over a jointer when the board is used.

The winch really does work well, just don't buy one of those china junk winches! Spend the money and buy a good one, they have much better gearing in them, and I can even run mine with my 20v cordless drill.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,395  
Played Hooky this past Friday to head up north to help my campground-owning friend cut up some trees that had fallen.
5.jpg

500i got a good workout. The best part was this was just a dice-up job, didn't get involved in moving the wood as he needed something to do this week.
An ex-camper had spraypainted his last initials on this dead stump, which he had also cut down at 7' off the ground somehow.
4.jpg

More firewood work at the homestead this weekend, a couple of buddies of mine are coming over to take down some nearly dead wood and process it. Stay tuned for more!

(P.S. This was The Highland Campgrounds if anyone was curious or is headed to N.E. PA. I may be biased, but I don't think you'll find a better camping experience in the area.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,396  
That's pretty country, and not far from the Krispy Kreme in Clark Summit! Have stopped there a hundred times (maybe only 99 times) while running Rt 81!!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,397  
That's pretty country, and not far from the Krispy Kreme in Clark Summit! Have stopped there a hundred times (maybe only 99 times) while running Rt 81!!!
An ex of my friend used to work at that Krispy Kreme...I maybe gained thirty pounds before they broke up. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,398  
Did some logging in my yard today. Sawed down an ol' apricot tree that died last year and this honey locust.... Any body know the btu's of a honey locust??

Locust is dense, cut like a hardwood. Felt harder than the apricot tree when sawing everything up to a more easier to move sizes.

Attachments

• 11434.jpeg
    11434.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,399  
Honey Locust has similar BTUs to White Oak. Higher than Beech or Red Oak.

Prime firewood once you get it dried out.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,400  
I lopped up the bigger branches on the locust in firewood lengths for the fire ring. One limb that reached well past others and would have caused damage to an aspen was brought down via 24 rounds from the 44 mag redhawk before felling the monster.

Glad to be rid of the thorned monster. It leaned over the house and it made thorny off-shoots. Wife and I both had holes poked in our hides while cleaning it up.