Towable boom lift

/ Towable boom lift #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Does anyone have experience with a towable boom lift? Good? Bad?

I've flirted on and off for years whether to buy one. I could use it for tree trimming (extensive), painting my barn and residence, for starters.

I would prefer towable since I could use it in more than one location. But that also limits the capacity somewhat. The non-towable lifts quickly get over 10,000 pounds so trailering that would be a problem for me.

My concerns are side reach, and ability to operate on a slope. Working on trees, whatever is often not on flat ground. And it seems the side reach is limited by height-- as you go higher the side reach understandably starts reducing.

Any experiences with using one? I have only found one person elsewhere who used a towable lift and he said he didn't care for it. But I think the one he was using was quite small and limited on reach.

One of these is on Craigslist out here right now:

/ Towable boom lift #2  
The guy that put a metal roof on the neighbor's big old barn used something like that. At my last job, I used vertilifts and big cherry pickers and I was amazed at how well a tow-able unit worked for him.

/ Towable boom lift #4  
I've only used one towable unit and while it was better then a ladder, the short comings were it's size and the stability when working to the side. To be fair I am comparing it with much larger powered units and I'm a large 300 pound man which is getting towards the max on that small unit.

/ Towable boom lift #5  
I have on that goes up to about 40 feet with around a 16 foot reach. A 360 degree coverage. Capacity is rated at around 500 pounds. My use is trees and roof work. I have flat ground but even then the stabilizers are used.
My only issue is it is not everyday use so it sits months on end. One tree though and it is paid for. That was 10 trees ago. LOL. I got a great deal on it.
I am not comfortable with heights though as time goes on.
On the property I move it around with the RTV. No issues.

/ Towable boom lift
and the stability when working to the side.
What kind of stability issues did you run into? Wobbly at full extension or something like that? Did the outriggers seem to provide good stability even when working on some slope?

One of my concerns is trimming branches. If I were at full horizontal extension, I'm leery of having a falling/trimmed branch snag the platform on its way down, tugging it with added weight. I don't think it would be a fun day.

I'm sure I could do branch trimmings in small bits but that is certainly one of the concerns at full extension. My oak trees are about 120 feet tall so in my budget, at max, I'd be less than half way up and certainly tempted to do whatever trimming above that I could reach.

/ Towable boom lift #7  
The one I rented around 14 years ago had automatic leveling stabilizers. You towed it into position, unhooked from tow vehicle, then lowered stabilizers. I believe was locked out from lifting without stabilizers diwn.
Don’t remember exactly but believe was around 35 ft lift with swivel and tilt basket Used for painting old two story house and shingling same house. Never had concern about stability with that unit.

/ Towable boom lift #8  
W
What kind of stability issues did you run into? Wobbly at full extension or something like that? Did the outriggers seem to provide good stability even when working on some slope?

One of my concerns is trimming branches. If I were at full horizontal extension, I'm leery of having a falling/trimmed branch snag the platform on its way down, tugging it with added weight. I don't think it would be a fun day.

I'm sure I could do branch trimmings in small bits but that is certainly one of the concerns at full extension. My oak trees are about 120 feet tall so in my budget, at max, I'd be less than half way up and certainly tempted to do whatever trimming above that I could reach.
I was painting out of it so reaching out as far as possible from the side of the basket while boomed out as far as possible sideways on uneven ground.A couple of times as I got down low to what I could reach from the ground easily I could actually lift it off the far side out rigger.

/ Towable boom lift #9  
I have a JLG T-350 battery powered towable lift. It certainly changes the way you work by giving you safe access to heights. I use mine for installing & servicing my collection of old farm windmills. Tree trimming, even to repair flags stuck up on a 30' pole. Painted the barn, etc.

Mine has auto leveling so it rocks & rolls until the pivot is vertical. It also has safeties which prevent you from unloading any outrigger. My bucket disconnects so I made up a jib crane boom that hooks onto it. It has ground station controls as well as a bucket control panel. It's pretty heavy and as such requires a title here in Michigan. Mine was a used one from Home Depot as a rental unit. I had used several other brands as well as the JLG and liked battery units because, in working with others on the ground, you can talk in a normal conversation voice. Plus it has surge brakes. Hook it up to any vehicle or tractor (don't use a golf cart, you can't steer it very well with the front wheels off the ground).

Be sure to carry a spare tire ! When it sits for a long time tires can get brittle and blow out. I found out on the expressway and was glad to have carried a spare tire for it, a jack, a battery impact AND the correct driver socket, AND a flashlight !

BTW: when your neighbors find out you have one, you'll be hanging Christmas lights for 2 weeks straight for them.

Attachments

• P1040499.JPG
    P1040499.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • SAM_0050.JPG
    SAM_0050.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
   / Towable boom lift #10  
I bought a haulette 3522a after renting its big brother a couple of times. After renting I could not see using a ladder any more for painting 2 story house and gutter cleaning. Have used it quite a lot for tree trimming also. Have never felt unstable. It self levels every time you use it. I think it can level on a 15 % grade (from memory)?
My biggest issue is dealer said don't let the batteries freeze so I haul them in to the garage every winter.

Easy to move around the property with tractor or gator. It's nice to use the 3 point on the tractor if moving around frequently. You don't have to disconnect before leveling with the 3 point on the ground.