1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #21  
after 11 years it looks like I am going to have to put a new battery in it and rebuild the loader cylinders. They don't lift as much as they once did. I am a little nervous as since I have moved, the nearest Kioti dealer is over 4 hrs away
Only 11 years?!?!? (My battery was 5 YO when I replaced it.)
You may be able to get the cylinders repacked at a local machine shop. There really is no advantage driving 4 hours to a dealer at this point. If they aren't leaking though, it may not be the cylinders.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?
If keeping it forever, why would resale even be a consideration?

Yep, good catch. Forever meant forever to me. The resale factor has to do with once I am gone, I don't want my heirs to have a tractor (brand) that they can't sell or will have a difficult time doing so.

Someone above said need to know how big. In my OP, I mentioned "compact," and that means 25-40hp to me. My Mahindra is 50hp and the power is nice, yes, but it's too big for the woods. At this time, I am thinking 38-48hp but it's not certain yet. If I buy such a dream tractor it will take awhile, lol.

As for the "find a good dealer" mantra, I certainly wish for that but I have no idea how one can do that. When you visit a dealer, you probably deal with one person, a salesman. So, you end up basing your opinion on that person's personality. The salesman might just be a good talker and the service is actually not good.

More on the dealer issue... it took me a 2-3 YEARS to figure out I do not care for the dealer for my zero turn mower. I have fixed just about everything needing a repair over ten years but, it's been a time or two it was beyond me at the time of the repair. Partly due to his prices, I learned to fix more, lol. But it's not just price, they are all high. But he seems to go too far with extra charges. And I just feel I know the owner now, he can be a real jerk, and I do not do business there any more. I have come across too many people who knew the owner way back and it's not good. My point is, finding a good dealer is hard to do. I also feel like times have changed in that regard. I grew up on the farm, my dad was a farmer/rancher and we used big tractors. Back then, you certainly knew the dealer!

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #23  
I have both a JD and a Kubota and both dealerships are within 15 minutes from me. I would recommend either of them to someone looking for a forever tractor. I have a Massy and Kioti dealer not that much farther.

I'm sure that other tractor brands make good tractors as well, but I am familiar with the ones I have. The thing I would worry about, is buying a lesser-known brand only to find out that it is no longer made, or the dealership went out of business.

Dave

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #24  
Anecdotal evidence is useless to someone else. There is no statistical evidence that JD breaks more or less than anyone else.

Forever?
Well I would pick a late 1960's to mid 80's Utility tractor from any of the big manufacturers. The popular JD, Ford, Massey models and some others are still going to be serviceable for a very long time. I am Not convinced that is true for some of todays CUT's as far as getting aftermarket or factory parts support decades from now.

Last edited:
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #25  
Only 11 years?!?!? (My battery was 5 YO when I replaced it.)
You may be able to get the cylinders repacked at a local machine shop. There really is no advantage driving 4 hours to a dealer at this point. If they aren't leaking though, it may not be the cylinders.
They are leaking internally, not externally. When I first got the tractor, when picking up something heavy with my forks, I could lift the loaded rear tires off the ground, even if I had my rear blade on it. Wouldn't happen if I had the backhoe on it. Now it won't lift the rear tires even with no implement on the back. It is not uncommon for the piston seals to roll/leak in these tractors. No intention of taking it to the dealer. I just need to find the time to figure out which cylinder is leaking, pull it and replace the seals.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #26  
Said before and will say once again, I will never own any T4-5 compliant tractor and I'll leave it at that. The more complex they become, the more chance of failure.
Very true. But I’m thinking of vehicles and the current complexity of them. My 1970 F-150 was simple to work on but required a lot of maintenance: drum brakes, carburetor rebuild, plugs, points, condenser, timing at frequent intervals, and many were ready for engine rebuilding at 100K miles. I remember always working on those older vehicles. Yes the old technology was simple, but still I hardly have to do anything other than fluid and filter changes on the modern complex vehicles and they last 250-300K miles. I know that vehicles aren’t tractors, but I think these complex modern tractors are more durable than many people think, so long as scheduled maintenance isn’t neglected.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #27  
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- resale ability down the way
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

Doesn't have to be JD or Kubota but that's my thinking.

TIA!

Yanmar YT347 with the iHMT transmission. Can run an 8' bushhog easily per my Yanmar dealer. I got this quote on a new one last week, Non-Cab.

1712435879860.png

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #28  
They are leaking internally, not externally. When I first got the tractor, when picking up something heavy with my forks, I could lift the loaded rear tires off the ground, even if I had my rear blade on it. Wouldn't happen if I had the backhoe on it. Now it won't lift the rear tires even with no implement on the back. It is not uncommon for the piston seals to roll/leak in these tractors. No intention of taking it to the dealer. I just need to find the time to figure out which cylinder is leaking, pull it and replace the seals.
Are you sure it's a cylinder? That sounds more like an internal "valve" leak to me.

SR

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #29  
I make money with my tractors, and I have no need for a big tractor to do so. I buy tractors I KNOW will last and last.

Wanting a simple tractor that isn't full of electronics, doesn't take def or have some other stupid plumbing to go bad, and doesn't have whiney hydraulics that require electronics to work.

I chose AGCO's,

Resized-20240406-152351-AS.jpg

They are reasonable priced and have worked out fantastic for me for all that I do.

Simple and reliable, just what a "forever" tractor should be!

SR

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #30  
I’d be leery of expecting to get new “forever” tractor at this time. It seems to me that a great deal of the design and engineering effort is going into electrification and emission controls.

That said, I’m pretty confident that I have my forever tractor, that I bought new almost 20 years ago, with my John Deere 4120. At 43 hp, it’s plenty big for any usage I have. The closest Deere dealer is just 5 minutes away.

Since my initial purchase (from another dealer much further away), I’ve only been to the local guy when I’ve needed oil filters (picked one up this morning in fact). I’ve also got a Deere riding lawnmower and they were running a 15 % off special on maintenance kits (included 2 quarts of oil, oil, air and fuel filters, and a spark plug). I just got the oil filter for the 4120, because I like to run Rottella 15W-40 oil in that.

The only problem I’ve had with the 4120, in the last 19 years, is that I needed to replace the starter motor. That was a 15 minute job and I found an aftermarket starter on-line for about half the cost of an oem replacement.

I also looked at comparable models from Kubota and NH, back when I bought the Deere. They cost almost the same. It was mostly having a real close dealer, and an American made engine, that pushed me to the Deere.

I don’t think that the compact Deeres of today use an American engine anymore. They get just about all their compact Tier 4 stuff from the far east now, like the others. Makes me thankful to have gotten while the getting was good.

Good luck in your search.