Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #12  
There is something to be said for learning to be happy with you got. It's affordable. :unsure:
Exactly!

"Contentment is when you are satisfied with your life and what you have accomplished so far. It can and does lead to happiness if you are satisfied and grateful for your life. Remember we choose to be happy. Happiness is not a gift but a choice."

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?
The long game is WA for me but it's also changed quite a bit over the last 20 years and about a wash in terms of cost of living with California.

Say 2500 mo social security less parts B and D and what's left would basically cover my WA property taxes.

Property Tax law changed in WA after I bought and taxes tripled since.

My investment property is at least a part time job and all derived in SF Bay Area.

I love the WA property but the climate is not old car friendly in South Sound due to humidity.

California has the best climate I have ever experienced but the things I like to do here continue to be under attack.

Running my Echo brush trimmer, burning a yule log in my EPA cat stove, spray painting antique car parts should not make me an outlaw but it now does in California... then add changes to law enforcement, insurance crisis being the current crisis adding to the list... even attending Sunday services I'm 95% in the parking lot because a new trend is smash and grab while inside attending Sunday service.

Olympia and SF Bay Area are similar regarding homeless among many other rules and regs...

The last few years I hear the term Living Your Best Life and I'm ready to be a student as affairs for my parents get wrapped up.

Last edited:
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #14  
I believe that I've achieved some form of maturity through the discovery that I genuinely have no idea what I'm doing. When I was in the Army I thought I had my ducks in a row; I did, however it was all in the constraints of military life. A return to reality provided me with a great view of my own ignorance and immaturity, and it's been a challenge working from that point forward.

So no, I suppose I do not have it figured out.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #15  
"Man plans, God laughs."

I keep that thought in the back of my head every day I get up. I'm on track to get to a place that I believe will last me for the rest of my natural days. I've acquired the equipment and am now working on the place. Every day gets me a little closer. The place might change, but the plan remains the same...so far.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #16  
"Man plans, God laughs."

I keep that thought in the back of my head every day I get up. I'm on track to get to a place that I believe will last me for the rest of my natural days. I've acquired the equipment and am now working on the place. Every day gets me a little closer. The place might change, but the plan remains the same...so far.
Well sure! I never forget that we are extremely fortunate to have not had any catastrophic health issues, natural disasters, man-made disasters, long periods of unemployment, etc.

While we can plan for what we think is the unexpected, sometimes things happen that can wipe us out, or at least put a serious dent in our plans and expectations.

So we've always had the philosophy that food, water, clothing, shelter is about all that's required. Everything else is gravy in the big picture.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #17  
Interesting thread. The trouble is that, like I suspect many here, I only find tranquility and happiness in working hard on projects and chores. As much as I tell myself I'm doing all this work for some end goal, the reality is that sitting poolside and relaxing for more than a few minutes in the evening is misery to me. Maybe that will change with age, but age 50 years now, I suspect not.

If I have any inclination toward clinical depression, it's tied to the day I wake up and have no plans or goals.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #18  
Yup...we can angst over a lot of first world problems.

The need for clean water, food and a shelter from the rain does not keep most of us awake at night.

Thank You Father...

Last edited:
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #19  
I think we have it figured out...

We work to earn money to spend on things we want to do when we're not at work. That's about it.

We have no plans on downsizing or moving to a different part of the country once we retire. We might find a diffent place (with 2 bathrooms! 🤣 ), but 1300 square feet is more than enough for the two of us and anyone that visits, even for extended stays.
About the same here, 1500 sqft house, big attached garage and we like the 4 seasons. I retired in 2020 and we could move but we almost enjoy winter more than summer. We do go south in the winter the past 4 years but only for a couple weeks to watch some races and eat BBQ.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?
If I only only had a crystal ball to see into the future.

In all candor for as far back as I can remember 2919 was a boom time with so many indicators looking up... investments streaming in and neighborhoods along with commercial being revitalized with private money.

Pandemic set many Bay Area cities back 40 years and not exaggerating... people found they have options and with rising crime many opted to cut losses and get out not looking back.

2019 was when collectively we had finally turned a corner not counting some of the whacky laws but with money rolling in let the good times roll.

Last edited: