Water in JD 3320

/ Water in JD 3320 #1  

bluemalibu

We've recently had a good amount of much needed rain. Unfortunately, the fuel filler cap on my 3320 wasn't tight and a quantity of water entered the fuel tank. It was only detected upon the engine ceasing to run shortly after starting it. The engine is Yanmar's 3TNV88 with 200 hrs on the clock. The engine did not hydrolock.

Will the injector pump and injectors need to be removed to clear the water and put the machine back into service?

/ Water in JD 3320 #2  
I'm not sure what good that would do. I would just empty the water out of the tank. Empty out the filter and all supply lines and blow them dry.. Drain and blow out as much as possible of what's in the pump head and related passages. Loosen the injector lines at the injectors. Start with good clean fuel. I would probably use a jug of new fuel for this part so nothing from the tank would be involved. Fill the system (lines and filters) bleed the pump and lines as usual. Crank the engine over until all water is out of the injector lines and new fuel appears. Then start it up as usual. Do this as soon as possible to minimize water contamination on the internals.

I've done this many times on all sorts of tractors. It has always worked for me.

/ Water in JD 3320 #3  
I'm not sure what good that would do. I would just empty the water out of the tank. Empty out the filter and all supply lines and blow them dry.. Drain and blow out as much as possible of what's in the pump head and related passages. Loosen the injector lines at the injectors. Start with good clean fuel. I would probably use a jug of new fuel for this part so nothing from the tank would be involved. Fill the system (lines and filters) bleed the pump and lines as usual. Crank the engine over until all water is out of the injector lines and new fuel appears. Then start it up as usual. Do this as soon as possible to minimize water contamination on the internals.

I've done this many times on all sorts of tractors. It has always worked for me.
I'd do exactly what Harry says. No need to remove the injectors and pump. Just replace the fuel in every part of the system you can get to with good new fuel, and then bleed at the injectors until the water is all gone. This is unfortunately an all too common part of diesel maintenance, but shouldn't cause any problems if you do it sooner than later.