Water leveling?

/ Water leveling? #11  
What is the range of rotary laser levels? Perhaps they work best in low light conditions, so dusk, dawn, or after dark.

/ Water leveling? #12  
I used a water level kit that's two clear tubes connected by garden hose. The nice thing about the garden hose is one can use a faucet to fill the hose with water. Let it run to get all the air out. Getting the air out is key to it's accuracy.

/ Water leveling?
Messed that reply up - was explaining that I’ve been saying degrees slope when I meant percent! Wasn’t following the 10” per 100 ft = .5 degree. I’m only going to have about 6 inches drop on a 100ft run, so half a percent

/ Water leveling? #15  
I started using water levels in about 1963, helping my Grandfather lay the foundation & basement for our 60'x30' duplex. He used it for keeping the cinder block absolutely level. Laser's would have been nice, but water and hose worked.
With the advent of cheap plastic tubing, like for aquarium air pumps, we moved to using a roll of tubing, a adequate food coloring in the water, and a gallon jug. Didn't work well at lower temps because the hose got stiff. But rolled up small, easy to deploy and very accurate.

/ Water leveling? #16  
I started using water levels in about 1963, helping my Grandfather lay the foundation & basement for our 60'x30' duplex. He used it for keeping the cinder block absolutely level. Laser's would have been nice, but water and hose worked.
With the advent of cheap plastic tubing, like for aquarium air pumps, we moved to using a roll of tubing, a adequate food coloring in the water, and a gallon jug. Didn't work well at lower temps because the hose got stiff. But rolled up small, easy to deploy and very accurate.
A cheap gallon of colored windshield washer fluid won't freeze.

/ Water leveling? #17  
What is the range of rotary laser levels? Perhaps they work best in low light conditions, so dusk, dawn, or after dark.
I have a Bosch rotary laser that I use for ceiling & flooring installations. To use it outside, I bought this laser line detector:

51oKQb7icmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It works well outdoors in bright sun with a range of over 250'. It clips to the range rod and is easily moved to spots anywhere along a trench.

/ Water leveling? #18  

The laser transit systems have a receiver to pick up the beam. They can work fine in full sun. I just got done using mine on a job yesterday in full sun. Mine claims to shoot a 2600 ft radius so in theory you can work in a circle almost a mile in diameter. I’ve never actually tested that claim. I usually work within a hundred ft radius.

/ Water leveling? #19  
I've used a water level several times when laying out foundations. I keep 100' of maybe 3/8" clear vinyl tubing coiled up in a kitty litter bucket. When I want to use it, I remove the tubing from the bucket, fill the bucket with water and some food coloring. Then I siphon the bucket with the tubing to fill the tube. Works great.

I used it a few years ago on our 24x24 garage addition. It's within 1/4" everywhere, so I was happy.

/ Water leveling? #20  
A rotary laser does have its limitations for accuracy at long distances. For technical reasons the accuracy beyond 300 starts to drop off. This is the case with optical levels also. For dirt grading, laying field tile and other rough work. For something like paving you should keep your shots under 300 feet.

1/2 a foot in a 100 feet is pretty flat but if you lay the pipe carefully it will work.