Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060
Rather than start a new thread, I will just restart this one.

After the problems I had with the Grand L6060 mentioned in this thread, I bought a new Grand L6060 so that I could get back to work while the first one was in the shop.

Well...this week, the new one is having fuel problems. Of course we were on a job with it about 2.5 hours away from my shop.

It was running fine then suddenly quit running. We could not get fuel to come out of the water separator. We changed the electric pump ($200) between the separator and the check valve. That didn't help. We blew air back into the tank, in case there was some trash in the tank. That didn't help. We took the check valve off and blew air through it. That didn't help.

We were able to pull it onto the trailer with the skid steer. Yesterday we brought it to the dealer and pulled it off the trailer and into their shop.

This tractor was bought new in 2022 and has about 400 hours on it.

I will post updates when I hear from the dealer. This is getting really frustrating.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #102  
Please let us know how it goes. Frustrating experience for sure!

Mike

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #103  
Rather than start a new thread, I will just restart this one.

After the problems I had with the Grand L6060 mentioned in this thread, I bought a new Grand L6060 so that I could get back to work while the first one was in the shop.

Well...this week, the new one is having fuel problems. Of course we were on a job with it about 2.5 hours away from my shop.

It was running fine then suddenly quit running. We could not get fuel to come out of the water separator. We changed the electric pump ($200) between the separator and the check valve. That didn't help. We blew air back into the tank, in case there was some trash in the tank. That didn't help. We took the check valve off and blew air through it. That didn't help.

We were able to pull it onto the trailer with the skid steer. Yesterday we brought it to the dealer and pulled it off the trailer and into their shop.

This tractor was bought new in 2022 and has about 400 hours on it.

I will post updates when I hear from the dealer. This is getting really frustrating.

Any chance the fuel gage is lying and it ran out of fuel? I managed to run my tractor out of fuel this last fall.

Any chance the fuel gage is lying and it ran out of fuel? I managed to run my tractor out of fuel this last fall.
It was showing about 1/4 full. We added about 5 gallons. That didn’t help.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #105  
It was showing about 1/4 full. We added about 5 gallons. That didn’t help.

Well here is hoping it is something simple and Not expensive like a plugged tank outlet and not more like the earlier posts in this thread.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #106  
I'm hoping for something simple as well, nothing worse than troubles with equipment that you are trying to make a living with.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #107  
I think you REALLY need to change fuel suppliers or your handling and storage procedures.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #108  
When I'd gotten my Kioti I was struggling with water in my fuel: fortunately the warning light was always caught right away. I checked fuel from everything, my tank, and all other equipment that used fuel from my tank. ZERO traces of water. Turned out that it was a crappy/cheap locking fuel cap that was allowing rain water in: tractor lives outside and we get from 70" to 100" of rain here per year. Cap replaced and the problem never reappeared. I now set a tin can over the cap to ensure that water won't get in.

I have been diligent about checking the water separator for signs of water. I also have been diligent about adding fuel treatment to the transfer tank every time I add fuel to it. And, I always check the filter on my transfer tank for signs of water or trash. I carry a spare 'water blocking' filter in the truck.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the dealer. I hope they can find the issue, and it should be covered by warranty.

/ Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060 #110  
I would suggest opening the drain on the bottom of your 100G storage tank and check what comes out.
Start with the easy things, because the chances of getting 2 bad tractors with similar water problems is pretty low.
I’m not 100% sure I’d be adding water/fuel treatment on every tank. I’d probably treat your transfer tank, so the fuel goes in treated, rather than treat it in the tractor fuel tank.

All that said, I destroyed my M-126X injectors with bad fuel. It was my fault. I used older fuel from a tank because I was out of fuel and was trying to hurry up and get a job done. However, I do NOT think the Kubota fuel system is up to the task of protecting their tractors. The fuel bowl is mickey mouse. There is only one filter when there should be 2. My other tractors have dual fuel filters, and a water in fuel detection system and a separator.

Last edited: