Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage"

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #41  
I find it amusing that your equipment sits outside but half of your permanent storage is full of firewood.

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #43  
I built a permanent metal roof shed for my tractor because it's better protection than a tarp, doesn't rip or sag under a load of snow and I don't have to keep replacing tarps. Cargo container would also been a nice option, but wood and metal were easier to find at the time. That said, I understand putting up a temporary solution which is far better than letting equipment sit out in the elements.

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #45  
I put a larger one up several years ago - Shelter Logic - 12x24 I think. I wired it with outlets and lights. With the 11' opening and it holds up fine. When I need to change out the fabric I'll probably just put purlins over the tubing and put steel on top. Then frame in a garage door and an external door.
We have tremendous amounts of wind and it's held fine. I live right in windmill country too.

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #46  
I started with one of these for the tractor and its had a good size cedar tree top that snapped off in the wind fall on it, and while the cover got a few tears, the structure survived fine. This profile sheds snow very well and as long as you don't want to use the doors these silly things seem to last as long as you add some decent anchoring(3.5' t posts hammered into ground level and an angle works well) to hold down the tarp along the tensioning bar along the bottom. I have the south facing door permanently closed and the north facing open and now it stores 12 4x5 round bales every year. The replacement cover is getting about due for a replacement, but has lasted 8 years so far. It's fairly well sheltered from the wind as long as the cedar trees hold up... But has survived some serious storms. If you want the cover to last and don't care about looks, you can buy a huge cheap tarp on sale, fold it in half and put it over the proper cover just to eat UV rays for a few years.
shelter-logic-13x20x12-garage-in-a-box-suv-truck-e0bdd5a9-78fe-4404-9989-728497f79fad-jpgrendi...jpg

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #47  
This profile sheds snow very well and as long as you don't want to use the doors these silly things seem to last as long as you add some decent anchoring(3.5' t posts hammered into ground level and an angle works well) to hold down the tarp along the tensioning bar along the bottom.
I'd say you done pretty good with one that has lasted strong for 8 years!

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage"
I find it amusing that your equipment sits outside but half of your permanent storage is full of firewood.
Haha, I see you are from SC. We heat our house exclusively with that wood - having it completely dry and readily accessible all winter long is indeed a very high priority for me. I kept my firewood outdoors in the elements with various rudimentary coverings for years before I got that metal carport, and it SUCKED. Hardwood firewood needs to season (dry out) for several months, if not a year+, in a place with airflow, but out not in the rain and snow.

You can get damp firewood to burn ok in a woodstove, but you send half the BTUs up the chimney, along with a load of creosote. Never again, for me.

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage"
The cost will look a lot more reasonable when you look at it as a permanent solution vs. the cost and time required to replace the tarp every two or three years. Pay now or pay later. :)
I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay 1/2 or 2/3 of the original purchase price of one of these sheds, just for a new cover that you know would ultimately fail again in the same timeframe.

I expect my new shed cover to last the better part of a decade here. I'm at ~10 years for the yellow, cheaper, inferior 10x17 HF shed in the back of my initial photos.

I don't understand why some of you lose covers so quickly, to be honest. Extreme wind exposure? Failure to get the cover on nice and tight, or leave the doors open? Or never clear the snow/ice off?

/ Racing the weather for a <$600 "garage" #50  
Ground compaction is very important to the stability and longevity of the structure. Soil should be compacted in lifts. Each lift should only be as thick as you can effectively compact to 95%. In your case I see about 18" of fill on the far end. This should be done in 2 or 3 lifts with proper moisture content. The tractor tires can be a effective compaction tool. A bucket of dirt and tire marks on every square inch should suffice. GL
Dont worry these tent garages dont last long enough for the ground to settle to much. I got 2.5yrs out of one and every snow storm I had to clean it off and shovel out the sides.

The metal car port he has is way better of a option.