Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site?

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #11  
I wish they'd offer another diesel engine for the 1430 or the PT 425.
I just pulled the blown diesel from my oldest 1430. Before I have it rebuilt I’m looking into some of the big gas twins. I have to figure out what kind of coupler I could use. As I have two other PT’s, this one would only see light duty. ( we have all heard that one before. 🤪). Anyway, wouldn’t mind hearing input from others.

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #12  
If you can rebuild the diesel around the same cost and have it be reliable, that would seem like the best option, IMO. You already know it fits and how well it performs in your 1430. How many hours do you have on your diesel engine before it blew, BTW?

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #14  
I just pulled the blown diesel from my oldest 1430. Before I have it rebuilt I’m looking into some of the big gas twins. I have to figure out what kind of coupler I could use. As I have two other PT’s, this one would only see light duty. ( we have all heard that one before. 🤪). Anyway, wouldn’t mind hearing input from others.
@RegL If it were me, I would lean pretty heavily toward rebuild or replace with the same Deutz. The whole high torque at low engine rpm characteristics of diesels means quieter, easier to feather controls, and being able to do lots of tasks at just above idle saves a lot of fuel.

If you do decide to move to a gasoline engine, I would focus on meeting or exceeding the torque of the Deutz, rather than just comparing HP. If you can, I also would pay for the high power starter on whatever engine you go for, many engines have a higher power starter alternative.

Can I ask what went wrong?

All the best,

Peter

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #15  
Finding a gas engine that will fit in the 1430 and outperform the OEM Deutz diesel won't be easy. With it not having a pesky DPF, I'd strongly lean towards getting it rebuilt while you still can if that is a realistic option.

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site?
Reg, can you be more specific on what you mean by "blown"? These Deutz have timing belts that drive the cam and if the belt breaks, the valves contact the pistons. There is a good chance that can be fairly easily repaired in the machine.
I have an older 1430 with over 1,000 hours on it and debate about changing the belt, but it looks really tight (esp compared to my 1460). Mine still starts easy but not as loud as the low hour machine, so I figure the belt is stretched retarding the timing.

I would do your best to keep it diesel. They can sit for years and start right up. You can't do that with todays alcohol gasoline.

Last edited:
   / Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #17  
Reg, can you be more specific on what you mean by "blew"? These Deutz have timing belts that drive the cam and if the belt breaks, the valves contact the pistons. There is a good chance that can be fairly easily repaired in the machine.
I have an older 1430 with over 1,000 hours on it and debate about changing the belt, but it looks really tight (esp compared to my 1460). Mine still starts easy but not as loud as the low hour machine, so I figure the belt is stretched retarding the timing.

I would do your best to keep it diesel. They can sit for years and start right up. You can't do that with todays alcohol gasoline.
FWIW: I changed my 1445's belt at 1,000 hours. Other than needing a security drive bit and the two timing pins, it is pretty straight forward, if you follow the Deutz instructions. My $0.02 is that if you unbolt the engine cowling / oil cooler hinge plates and pivot the cover out of the way, it gives you more room to work in.

All the best,

Peter

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #18  
My belt broke. Surprisingly easy repair. The pushrods are designed to bend but people freak out at the thought. Valves are super tough. If all you have is a broken belt it’s an easy fix.

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site?
My belt broke. Surprisingly easy repair. The pushrods are designed to bend but people freak out at the thought. Valves are super tough. If all you have is a broken belt it’s an easy fix.
How many hours on your engine when the belt failed?

/ Gas 1430 for sale on PT's site? #20  
Gear driven camshaft is preferred - no wearing belts or chains, but it cost's little more to make it.