An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #51  
Fire risk: Millions of recalled Hyundai and Kia vehicles with a dangerous defect remain on the road

Summary: 3,400,000 Hyundai and Kia cars from 2010 through 2017 have a recall because they might catch fire. Owners are advised to park outside and away from other cars. Recall *might* be completed in a year or two. Parking a Kia outside risks getting it stolen (USB stick plus screwdriver trick), parking it in your garage risks burning your house down.

Kia says OK to drive anyway (sounds like Boeing . . . ), they say if you smell smoke and see warning lights on the dash, even though your car is on fire going 80 mph on the Interstate in heavy traffic during rush hour, you will have enough time to pull over and safely abandon ship, so hey, no problem, right ;-)

Recall is because brake fluid leaks onto an ABS module and ignites, the "fix" is supposed to be a fuse and fuse holder, no parts available "yet". I'm not sure how a fuse is supposed to fix a fluid leak, but whatever, they built the car, not me.

They've also had 13 million cars previously recalled because of the ongoing possibility of engine fires.

Sheesh.

I'm also going to check with Ultrarunner on his extension cord/submeter suggestion - what gauge wire do you advise?

Best Regards,
Mike/Florida
I like 10 gauge contractor grade.

During the numerous planned power shutdowns in the name of fire safety I got good in deploying a spider web of cords from my trusty Honda EM5000 to keep refrigerator/freezer in 4 homes plugged in.

/ An EV??????` #52  
Interesting discussion . . . and I would never presume to tell anyone what kind of car or truck to buy. Not my decision.

I wouldn't want a Hyundai/Kia either, but there is a distinct chance I might find myself parked next to one at the mall, and I'd be really annoyed if it went up in smoke and toasted my car at the same time. Also, if enough of them burn down houses, my homeowner's insurance will go up because of increased risk.

Originally the discussion was about car fires, and it seems like ICE cars can burn just as readily as EVs.

Regarding weight vs. road tax, my beater (Honda Accord) weighs 3,000 +/- lbs and pays $65/yr for tags. A fully loaded semi weighs 80,000 lbs (thanks Wikipedia) which is 26 times as much, so if license plate fees are proportional to vehicle weight, the semi's tags should cost 26 times $65, or about $1,700/yr, which number seems to be in line with 5030 and Too Many Kubotas' comments.

Undaunted, the IHS (Institute for Highway Safety) states that a fully loaded semi does 10,000 times the damage to a road than an average car. I have no idea where they got that number (other than pulled it out of thin air or perhaps someplace else), but as Goebbels said, a lie repeated 100 times becomes the truth.

If we accept that number (why?) and base tag fees on anticipated road damage, the registration for a semi should be 10,000 times my $65, or $650,000 a year - a total absurdity.

I happen to like apple butter, the other substance previously mentioned is firmly under the purview of the DMV. Maybe we shouldn't be giving them any ideas . . .

Best Regards,
Mike/Florida

/ An EV??????` #53  
If we accept that number (why?) and base tag fees on anticipated road damage, the registration for a semi should be 10,000 times my $65, or $650,000 a year - a total absurdity.
Absurd indeed, since very few drive a tractor trailer just for for fun. Instead, they keep our economy and life as we know it possible by transporting goods.

Realistically, people should pay more for just going to the mall or the movies since that doesn't contribute anywhere near as much to the economy.

/ An EV??????` #54  
Absurd indeed, since very few drive a tractor trailer just for for fun. Instead, they keep our economy and life as we know it possible by transporting goods.

Realistically, people should pay more for just going to the mall or the movies since that doesn't contribute anywhere near as much to the economy.
They also pay a fair amount of road taxes every time they buy fuel, just as the rest of us do. At 5mpg though, they are buying a lot more.

/ An EV??????` #55  
I make myself more aware now not to park next to or very close to an EV. Don’t want my nice truck to go down on flames. I told my family and close friends that if I start talking about getting an EV to have me committed and medicated.
I try to make sure not to park my nice truck next to any Ford trucks given their reputation for spontaneous combustion.

/ An EV??????` #57  
Fuel taxes have been a relatively fair way to fund road maintenance. Heavier vehicles cause more damage and use more fuel. a person that drive 8k miles a year pays less than someone driving 25k. A fair tax for EVs is needed as they should fund the roads, but what is fair?

Is charging an EV user who puts on 8k a year $200 fair if another EV user who does 25k miles pays the same?

I do not see weight as an equitable way. Does a 3500 lb vehicle that is used for 25k miles do 1/2 the damage of a 7000 lb vehicle used for 8k mikes?

/ An EV??????` #58  
Fuel taxes have been a relatively fair way to fund road maintenance. Heavier vehicles cause more damage and use more fuel. a person that drive 8k miles a year pays less than someone driving 25k. A fair tax for EVs is needed as they should fund the roads, but what is fair?

Is charging an EV user who puts on 8k a year $200 fair if another EV user who does 25k miles pays the same?

I do not see weight as an equitable way. Does a 3500 lb vehicle that is used for 25k miles do 1/2 the damage of a 7000 lb vehicle used for 8k mikes?
There has been talk of inplementing a mileage fee. One suggestion is to put a GPS in every vehicle.

/ An EV??????` #59  
There has been talk of implementing a mileage fee. One suggestion is to put a GPS in every vehicle.

I think it would be easier to subtract your mileage from last years registration from your current mileage and multiply by fee imposed by the state. That would be fair. The state of Texas imposing an arbitrary fee of $200 on my EV each year PLUS the registration fee of $75 is asinine.

/ An EV??????` #60  
Yep… it keeps getting floated with possible true up at smog inspection.

Not sure how that would work with the collector cars and they might be exempt?

My 1905 Oldsmobile has 20 miles over 5 years… no odometer or speedometer or electrical system so maybe exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.