When your CPA screws up?

/ When your CPA screws up? #41  
I had a dispute with the IRS 15 years ago it took over 5 years to straighten it out. Thought it was settled 3-4 times then it would start all over again. When it finally ended after amended returns for several years they ended up owing me several hundred dollars, then a year later it started again and after several responses I got another $32 check when they originally want another $30,000+. Haven't heard from them in at least 8 years on that issue so hopefully it has gone to bed. About time to get started on this years return :( .
I have been told that once you have a dispute with them, you kind of stay on their radar for good.

/ When your CPA screws up? #42  
I know my day is coming, Lou. I can feel the little $ I have draining from my account.…

/ When your CPA screws up? #44  
Would you like ketchup for your crap sandwich? :ROFLMAO:

/ When your CPA screws up? #45  
CPA short explanation is the amended return has not caught up with with the original return…

It does seem e-filing hasn’t helped.

The notice has no FTB agent name who sent it or to contact if you dispute…

Notice is pay amount billed or contact if there is a hardship paying.

I’m guessing paying under protest isn’t a good option?
I definitely feel the hurt of not being able to contact someone at the IRS. I am the executor of an estate, the "final" tax returns were prepared and sent Jan 2021. The estate can not be settled because the IRS has not finalized the account. There is no one to call and multiple trips to their office (43 miles each way) has produced nothing but frustration.

/ When your CPA screws up? #46  
^^^^^
This is the real reason they have hired more staff, allegedly to relieve the backlog.

/ When your CPA screws up? #47  
I try to owe under $100 every year, and it's set up to come out of my checking account on April 15. I don't write interest free loans to anybody, which is all that a big refund is.

Except - maybe - EA if you bought their stuff?🥹

Whoops - wrong thread!

/ When your CPA screws up?
If it were me, I'd be all over that CPA like a cheap suit until they took responsibility for and resolved this. Isn't this what you pay them for?
Maybe it's a bit too soon, but have you tried contacting your senator/congressman? I had an issue with the treasury dept. a few years back and filled out a form on my senator's website. One of her staffers contacted the agency on my behalf and the issue got resolved in relatively short order. Couldn't hurt...it's part of their job.

Glad my finances aren't so complex I need anything more than Turbotax/HR Block software to file.
My finances only became complicated due to the 1.4% interest I owned in a local California business park.

I had sold a rental home that had been my home years ago and put the proceeds into a private Real Estate Investment Trust that built out a small business park... very simple transaction via 1031 exchange and I was pleased with my good fortune.

About 7 years ago the major wealthy investors of the Business Park saw the handwriting on the wall and elected to sell the California business park and use the proceeds to purchase investment property in a dozen states...

So my little home of many years ago that had become a small interest in the local business park was now a miniscule interest in a dozen properties spread over a dozen states...

The complexity is because most of these states have state income tax requiring me to file returns in states I have never visited... i. e. the $65 I owed in Arizona or $150 in Oklahoma, etc.

Don't get me wrong... for a nobody like myself with a day job taking the proceeds from one little East Oakland house back in the 90's into hotels, storage units, R and D property, etc... is beyond imagination... plus no one is calling me at midnight saying a pipe bursts or a toilet is plugged!

I do think my CPA is struggling filing in multiple states... I am the only client in the firm filing in Oklahoma as and example.

The $1200 in professional CPA fees I have been paying isn't enough for a nationwide firm to even speak with me.

The end game is possibly taking the private REIT public so ownership would be shares of stock as opposed to percentage of individual property... which would great simplify my tax life.

For a simple guy like myself there is no way I have the knowledge to file in multiple states and my CPA firm is also finding it challenging because other state filings impact California filing...

Not sure if my explanation makes sense but it's how I got to where I am...

Last edited:
   / When your CPA screws up? #49  
   / When your CPA screws up?
I definitely feel the hurt of not being able to contact someone at the IRS. I am the executor of an estate, the "final" tax returns were prepared and sent Jan 2021. The estate can not be settled because the IRS has not finalized the account. There is no one to call and multiple trips to their office (43 miles each way) has produced nothing but frustration.
This is another hat I'm wearing too...