Anyone go back to a flip phone?

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #41  
I use my smart phone to deposit checks mailed to me. Many years ago the bank allowed me to do that by computer but now it requires a phone app. Most flip phones in the price range I would buy a phone at lack either Android of Apple operating systems that the bank app will load to.

I never take photos with the phone. It is just too unhandy versus a dedicated digital camera that photos get uploaded to my computer. In fact with my little phone usage I only pay a annual amount of $60 to Red Pocket to have limited minutes and data each month. I rarely even get close to going through that. Phones are a tool and a not a life style to me.

Compared to the old land line cost of ~$30/mo (plus everything was long distance extra to call) the ~$5 per month of the cell phone has saved me a lot of money over the last 8 years.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #42  
I guess I'm a tightwad. We do pay a cell phone bill, but I consider it necessary as we have no landline. No charge for Netflix. It is paid by my cell phone company. We don't pay for OTA TV and don't have any other subscriptions other than internet service.
Years ago we had Directv and cut that money waster long ago.
I chuckle when I hear people say that they they are a cord cutter and then spend as much money on iptv subscriptions.
I did that once, the ex wife complained we lived paycheck by paycheck so I called every subscription we had and I cancels everything, while doing so I was stun to see every compagnie was willing to lower their price to keep me as costumer, I even saw some lowering theirs offer twice. Now the only subscription I have is internet and a smart phone (I always buy the phone up front).

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #43  
If it's PPV or a site that requires a subscription, I don't bother with it and we have a landline and candidly, it's handy, especially the answering machine. It' takes care of all the robo calls.

Not about to pay for anything where all you get is some clown's opinions.

Gee, maybe that is why we actually have spendable income all the time. We don't pizz money away on anything that don't benefit us.

That includes Rumble and Twitter as well and we never view Tik-Tok, ever.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #44  
Far as I'm concerned, cell phones are a terrible invention because idiots abuse them and then get in vehicle accidents from distracted driving. I'd love to be a cop with a fat ticket book, I'd be writing hundreds of tickets for using a cell phone while driving.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #45  
I had to get rid of my flip phone when they shut down the 3G networks. I switched to an iPhone to match my wife's. Some issues on the initial set up. Too many things out there requiring a smart phone. Decided not to completely fight it.

The biggest advantage for me was the free App called Strava. With it my wife can track my exact location on my bicycle rides. I ride 28- 108 miles on the Wabash trace and cell phone coverage is spotty at best. It gives her some peace of mind.

Doug in SW IA

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #46  
Far as I'm concerned, cell phones are a terrible invention because idiots abuse them and then get in vehicle accidents from distracted driving. I'd love to be a cop with a fat ticket book, I'd be writing hundreds of tickets for using a cell phone while driving.
Wait to see until the incoming generation of kids who grew up (laterally) using a phone before they could even speak because '' it keep them quiet'' that will be something to see.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone?
its crazy how the averaged consumer spend on entertainments a month, $80 phone bill, $16 nexflix, $15 disney plus, $10 spotify, $100 dish TV

That $320 a month $3840 a year its crazy... the average subscriber pays for five different subscriptions each month.

edit: I forgot $100 for internet.
Very true and a few years ago I dropped a bunch of stuff we were barely using. We don't miss it a bit and wish I would have done it sooner.

Best call was to rip satellite TV out, go with over-the-air and went back to doing things around the house/farm that needed doing. I was spending maybe $140 a month on mindless television and mostly for channels I didn't watch, paying for it and with the money going to things opposite my wishes and giving me a 20 page agreement to sign so I couldn't object.

It's now been maybe 5 years with numerous price increases so I'm ahead at least $8400! So, on those implements or tractor things I need--poof--they're free.

We read more, most chores are done, I'm up earlier and if I want TV things, my OTA has maybe 40 channels. My equipment is better cared for, more odd jobs that pay me and the dog and I go out for more rides. I've gone to dress-up dinners with the wife, BBQ more often and not under duress and my truck is refreshingly clean. We eat better and I can bake a killer good pizza from scratch that isn't full of salt and bad fats.

IMG_4323.jpg

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #48  
35 bucks a month and has been that for a long time I might add.
Seems kind of pricey for a "budget" carrier. How much do the mainstream providers charge per month?
My dad has a flip phone. Doesn’t have a clue what is going on in his 15 grandchildren’s life. Can’t get pictures on his flip phone. Oh well. Staying connected and making an impact on the life of young people must be a good thing. Maybe he didn’t have anything to contribute anyway.
I don't know your father, but it seems like kind of a stretch to say he doesn't care about his grandchildren because he doesn't have a smartphone. It could be argued that the grandchildren don't care about him since they refuse to communicate by any means other than text message.
I had to get rid of my flip phone when they shut down the 3G networks. I switched to an iPhone to match my wife's. Some issues on the initial set up. Too many things out there requiring a smart phone. Decided not to completely fight it.

The biggest advantage for me was the free App called Strava. With it my wife can track my exact location on my bicycle rides. I ride 28- 108 miles on the Wabash trace and cell phone coverage is spotty at best. It gives her some peace of mind.
I had never heard of that program until about a year ago when an acquaintance mentioned using it to track her bicycle riding. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! that I would ever consent to being intentionally tracked. Bad enough that the phone itself, provider, OS manufacturer and who knows else can trace your every step without actually consenting to it.

Never say never, but I don't see myself getting a smartphone anytime soon. Yeah, I suppose it can do some cool stuff, but very little of it seems useful to me. YMMV. Personally, I'd just as soon ditch the flip phone and just stick with the land line but my wife gets worried when I'm out on the snowmobile alone so I keep it to appease her.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #49  
Seems kind of pricey for a "budget" carrier. How much do the mainstream providers charge per month?
Huh? Unlimited, talk, text and other stuff I don't use and every cell phone provider uses everyone else's cell towers anyway.

Boost is as 'mainstream' as you can get as Boost is a wholly owned sub of Verizon.

Said before and will say again, the only true 'wireless' phone is a SAT phone. No cell towers, no subscription fee, you buy the phone outright (not cheap) and pay for each increment of air time and that ain't cheap either.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #50  
Wait to see until the incoming generation of kids who grew up (laterally) using a phone before they could even speak because '' it keep them quiet'' that will be something to see.
Candidly, I don't care. I won't be here to worry or fret over anyway.