Searching for a truck I may never find?

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #171  
Snow plowing sounds to me like a job for a beater. I welded new structural tubes and somr floor sheets in an International 744 XL cab a few years ago. Guy bought it off a contractor who used it on a salt spreader. He asked me to make it safe again because he bumped his chin when he stepped on the entrance ladder and it took the edge tube with it down...

Definitely -- the hardest thing you can do to a truck is plow snow with it. Especially large parking lots where it's all back and forth and shifting. I've had plows on 3 vehicles and all 3 were well-perforated by the time I hauled them to the scrapyard.

Last edited:
   / Searching for a truck I may never find?
Just realized, I can't even look at a REGULAR cab anymore without cringing. I've had extended cabs starting in 1993 and then full 4-door models since 2014. I've always got tools and coats and junk back there. Can't imagine going back to a standard cab without room to throw a coat in the back or keep a toolbox on the floor and in the dry. (Especially when out snow-plowing . . . )

Good luck with the search!
I know what you mean, but I would just keep spare clothing on passenger side or spare room behind seat. Tools would be in a cross body tool box.

I’m willing to sacrifice interior space for a shorter truck.

May end up with an extended cab if the search yields no good reg cabs…

I have a Ram 5500 crew cab and love all the indoor storage for my saws, cordless tools, etc.

Definitely -- the hardest thing you can do to a truck is plow snow with it. Especially large parking lots where it's all back and forth and shifting.
Luckily, I‘m not feeling forced to buy a truck with gaping holes in it or leaking oil. I am on a tight budget, but not a ”beater” budget.
My snowplowing route for this truck is mostly long, hilly, challenging driveways.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #174  
Luckily, I‘m not feeling forced to buy a truck with gaping holes in it or leaking oil. I am on a tight budget, but not a ”beater” budget.
My snowplowing route for this truck is mostly long, hilly, challenging driveways.

Right. I wouldn't buy a beater either if I was planning to "work" it. Just agreeing that it's a hard occupation for a truck.

I used to love to head out and plow snow. Now I just do mine and some cleanup around the neighbors here and there. And I do that with a tractor now so I'm very limited on distance.

You better hurry up or you're going to miss this winter's fun!!

Got more pictures of the Dmax/3500/DRW.
Completely stripped to the bone. Power nothing.
Diesel/Auto/4x4
Headliner is down.
Very little rust
Better than a beater, but nothing fancy.
Seller has clean title.
NY Inspected through August 2024
Door jamb VIN sticker is gone because rockers, doors and cab corners were replaced “a few years back”.
would like to know how truck was speced-out. Like especiallt front & rear axle ratings and GVWR.
$12,500 🤔

Seems like there’s a lot there, but will it always leave me wanting a single rear wheel truck 🤔

Really need a GM “cateye” duramax expert for this thread.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #176  
I’ve been down the rust repair on classic cars and one Dodge truck. It seems like the iceberg thing. You just see a small part of it. The rust is probably there and coming back. It might be solid enough though to do what you want but you’d have to take a good luck underneath..

Pictures look pretty good. Mostly surface rust.
Hard to find a low mileage diesel/auto one ton 4WD with no little rust for $12,500 these days.
Trucks are insanely expensive

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #178  
Analysis paralysis...

Get a ford 6.0 and actually make money plowing instead of paying for a unicorn. Cheap and incredibly durable, once a few kinks are worked out.

Plus you get a real man's front end.

The choice is incredibly easy...

Analysis paralysis...

Get a ford 6.0 and actually make money plowing instead of paying for a unicorn. Cheap and incredibly durable, once a few kinks are worked out.

Plus you get a real man's front end.

The choice is incredibly easy...
oh Heavens no lol
Already been through that genre of diesel.
Never again! My bank account ain’t as “deep” as yours….

It’s cheaper to beef up a GM front end than head stud & pray on a 6-oh no.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #180  
oh Heavens no lol
Already been through that genre of diesel.
Never again! My bank account ain’t as “deep” as yours….

It’s cheaper to beef up a GM front end than head stud & pray on a 6-oh no.

You're not thinking this through...

You and all the other people think 6.0 are trash and sell them for super cheap. Buying cheap allows you to put some money into it, make it reliable, and tailored to your needs. You then get something that is solid, capable, and purposeful.

If you go GM, your paying more up front, and then there is no room to tailor to your needs. You will forever be nickeled and dimed to death fixing stuff that should have been addressed when you first buy a money making machine. At that point you are just throwing good money after bad.

When you buy your 6.0, let me know. I'll tell you how to make it the best truck you will ever own.

;)