ripoff?

/ ripoff? #11  
Caught me once at the ISD. They sent something during the week before school when we were all busy. The fake fakes are always more clever than the real fakes. Once I got caught, I sent anything I didn't want to respond to to the SPAM address. My last year I sent some useless training reminder there every time.

/ ripoff? #12  
Our company got phished and sent a $150,000. check to a Russian bank! A few weeks later we were asked to an online training. But my company E-mail looked so suspicious that I sent it to IT for review.

It had all the calling cards of a phishing scam, 1) Sender was a generic, Admin@company.com, 2) poor English, 3) the Email asked to "click here" and give your login and pass word

I got a nasty E-mail from my boss, "just shut up it's real and get the training."

The training was comprehensive and I learned to run from E-mails that contained, " 1) Sender was a generic, Admin@company.com, 2) poor English, 3) the Email asked to "click here" and give your login and pass word"

Go figure why we are swamped with scammers!

/ ripoff? #13  
I must have gone to the "wrong" web site recently. I've been getting quite a few CRAP emails.

/ ripoff? #14  
This week, Mrs. Rocks received a text or email, forget which, claiming an update to her US mail delivery address was needed and to click the link. She didn't respond.

/ ripoff? #15  
On my gmail I can click on the 3 dots on the right side of the preview page and it gives me the option to delete/ block or report as "plishing" which is what I normally do which also blocks that sender from getting through to me.

/ ripoff? #17  
Just wait until AI generated spam arrives. Problem is you may not know the difference
The program I run on the backend, 'Trend Microservice' catches 99% of everything and deletes it without me ever seeing it and that includes email as well as websites. It don't impact the speed or memory capacity of this solid state chipset Lenovo Thinkpad laptop either and it scans and updates many times daily without any intervention on my part. I recommend it, however, I believe it's not available to the general public though I'm not 100% sure on that. It came bundled with this laptop prior to my receiving it from my cousin who is a Lenovo dealer and owns and operates his own specialized IT company near (but not in) Chicago, Illinois.

In fact all the programs on this machine were loaded by him before I took possession of it. Actually, he is one of my IT's. The other one manages my .com website.

Really impressed with the Thinkpad. It wasn't a cheap date by a long shot, but it's fast and has a huge solid state chipset internal memory, like 3 Terabytes and if I have an issue (because I'm basically computer illiterate,) they are just a toll free or email message away and of course they have remote desktop control over this machine.

Like everything in life, you always get what you pay for but I'm blessed that my cousin does what he does and can steer me towards exactly what I require plus provide backup support if I need it and yes, I pay for it. Just because it's family don't mean I get it for free and candidly, I don't want it for free anyway.

I did add a Western Digital external chipset hard drive (at his recommendation) as well for my backup stuff which is necessary when hosting a .com website. It's also 2 Terabytes and is the size of a pack of cigarettes. I had a conventional platter sized backup drive that is now in the drawer full of files in case I need it. I'm 100% sold on Western Digital. Never had any issue with their performance or failure.

/ ripoff? #18  
At my work if you click on the bait link you are automatically signed up for cyber security awareness training.
Same issue at my prior company, with several of the top executives having been born while FDR was still in office. Had one ransomeware virus take a $60M/year company down for more than 2 weeks, thanks to one of those dinosaurs blindly clicking on email attachments. Cost us somewhere in the $5M neighborhood in lost hours and equipment, by the time it was all said and done.

God bless you, if you're in your 70's and still have the gumption to work. But hire them a computer-literate secretary, so they can continue on what they know, don't put vulnerable technology into the hands of these people!

Reminds me of a comment made about the early nuclear arms race, leading up to the Cuban missile crisis, that the Generals and elected officials trying to navigate this new technology had grown up and fought their first wars on horseback!

/ ripoff? #19  
Just because they are in their 70's doesn't mean they are not somewhat computer savey.

/ ripoff? #20  
Just because they are in their 70's doesn't mean they are not somewhat computer savey.
True. But having lived on this earth for 50 years, I can see that it very substantially increases the odds of that being the case.

My step father is coming up on 90, and he's essentially become tech support for the entirety of their retirement village. But he's a retired college professor, and has always been a "gadgets guy". He will be the first to tell you he's not "normal" for his age.

Old people and technology have become a classic punchline for many comedians for good reason, there's some truth in most stereotypes, even if not universally applicable.