What did I do wrong drilling these holes?

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #91  
From my apprentice days when using a dead center in a lathe we would use red lead to lubricate the center. I don't know if they make that any more. There was also a yellow lead that we would use for gear messing. It was easier to see in that application. When wheel pressing we used the AAR wheel mount compound. The old wheel mount compound was a mixture of twice boiled linseed oil and white carbonic lead/ 12 lbs. to one gallon of the boiled linseed oil. The wheel mount compound has been replaced with a non lead compound. The new wheel compound is linseed oil based but with out the lead compound. This is all from memory so some of these details may not be accurate.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #92  
Threads like this leave me in awe. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know. I am torn between jumping in and learning more or accepting my limits and leaving such work to experts. Thank y'all for the education.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #93  
Threads like this leave me in awe. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know. I am torn between jumping in and learning more or accepting my limits and leaving such work to experts. Thank y'all for the education.

I just think the breadth of knowledge here is wonderful. Everytime I read a new post I learn something. A couple of things on my to-do list with my own drilling are a resolution to do more of my own sharpening on everything and to mix my own cutting oil. What in the world is red and yellow lead??

When I was a kid, an uncle had a dog-eared old book like a Machinery Handbook, but it was formulas for making everything from paint to putty.

Just finished putting new bushings and bearings in our old 1930s bandsaw - It took a week of pleasant evenings, but it sure works nice now. About $100 bucks in parts. Mostly Amazon and McMaster-Carr.
I could have bought a new one just as good, but it would cost 5x that amount, or more.

rScotty

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #94  
From my apprentice days when using a dead center in a lathe we would use red lead to lubricate the center. I don't know if they make that any more. There was also a yellow lead that we would use for gear messing. It was easier to see in that application. When wheel pressing we used the AAR wheel mount compound. The old wheel mount compound was a mixture of twice boiled linseed oil and white carbonic lead/ 12 lbs. to one gallon of the boiled linseed oil. The wheel mount compound has been replaced with a non lead compound. The new wheel compound is linseed oil based but with out the lead compound. This is all from memory so some of these details may not be accurate.
I have some extreme high pressure grease in a tube made by CMD that we used for dead centers. Get it from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perf...t=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-815813122299

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes?
What in the world is red and yellow lead??
They are lead oxides, along with white lead. Red lead is litharge, PbO, and it's an important industrial substance. I have worked, years ago, on components for litharge processes, though I admit ignorance as to what litharge is used for. Yellow lead is massicot, also PbO, and as far as I know it was important as a pigment though I'm not well informed. What belongs in this list is white lead or lead carbonate, 2PbCO3·Pb(OH)2, which is used to make lead soap for lubricants. It's also the toxic sweet white pigment in lead based paint.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #96  
They are lead oxides, along with white lead. Red lead is litharge, PbO, and it's an important industrial substance. I have worked, years ago, on components for litharge processes, though I admit ignorance as to what litharge is used for. Yellow lead is massicot, also PbO, and as far as I know it was important as a pigment though I'm not well informed. What belongs in this list is white lead or lead carbonate, 2PbCO3·Pb(OH)2, which is used to make lead soap for lubricants. It's also the toxic sweet white pigment in lead based paint.
The places I worked that used lead was to check how gears meshed...checking contact points/areas.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #97  
I think the best is to make business regulate itself.

Something like, "If a business sells new oil, they have to dispose of the old".

rScotty

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #98  
When i've burnt a drill bit in a hole, i always flip the workpiece in the vise after sharpening. This way the work hardened hole surface doesnt have to be drilled at once, but with the 118 degree top angle from the other side means the hardened surface is at 124 degree angle to the drill bit point so you dont have to apply as much pressure for it to bite.

Once youre removing material, the chip removes the heat from the drill.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes?
When i've burnt a drill bit in a hole, i always flip the workpiece in the vise after sharpening.
I did do this. One difficulty is that to do this you need an accurate hole location. Depending on the part geometry this can be pretty challenging for those of us who aren't professional machinists. In my case, because I had drilled a pilot hole, and because my part was flat on both sides with the hole perpendicular to the faces, it was easy. But, then, the pilot hole had caused other problems. Perhaps a very small pilot hole would be the best of both worlds. No bigger than the bit web, and maybe smaller. That might even provide a way to get cutting fluid flowing through the hole and around the cutting edges of the bit the whole time or at least every time we pause the feed pressure.

/ What did I do wrong drilling these holes? #100  
Too fast on the rpm
NEVER use petroleum lubricating oil. It acts as a coolant at best on steel. Canola oil, or any vegetable oil is 100 times better, but Messy. WD-40 is Worthless for steel, but great for ALU.
Use water to keep thing cool. (100 times better than lubricating oils.) (soda water keeps things from rusting up)

Also, did you mention the size of the pilot hole?, It should be about the size of the web of the final drill.

When drilling steel, MAINTAIN THE CHIP! that is, keep the cutting lips cutting, don't RUB.

As others have mentioned, once the hole gets hot and blues, it's going to take a good High Speed Steel (HSS) or better to penetrate the hard parts. Or a few trips to the grinder to re-point the drill. If the drill bit gets burned, it's a thankless job to re-point. You are best off just to cut off the business end and grind a new point. An acquired art. DON'T Burn the lips when sharpening!

It's all so hard, but as your post testifies, we git it done! I've got hundreds of twist drills with spoiled cutting lips or broken corners*, I'll get to them "someday" (*from my aviation days)
Very informative Cal.