Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,421  
A great great grandfather immigrated from Scotland as an indentured servant when he was 12 years old. McWane...but I've always thought it was McQueen. A Scottish accent would sound like McWane.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,422  
When asked where we came from, my grandfather told my dad and he told me, - "We are Scotch, Dutch, English, Welch and a little bit of the rest".

So obviously, he had no idea. That's where I left it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,423  
I could see how that could be. At my great grandmother's funeral, they listed off the numbers of family starting with her to my kids generation.

At this point, I was early 20's and no kids.

She had 6 kids. They each had a minimum of 5 kids (my parents generation). They in turn had at least two kids and so on.

So 6 kids. 32 grandkids. 134 great grandkids (my generation). Then at that point there were 34 great great grandkids.
Oh my... could have populated a all town...

Don't see the really big families so much anymore... had one with 10 in high school and that was unusual...

Father a Pan Am pilot and kids flew free!

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,424  

Don't see the really big families do much anymore... had one with 10 in high school and that was unusual...
I raised too many chickens last year so gave some to an Amish family that had 18 kids.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,425  
I raised too many chickens last year so gave some to an Amish family that had 18 kids.
That's a lot of kids... I have 34 cousins and 33 are on mom's side...

I'm kind of the one keeping in touch as I have made it a point to visit as many as possible given the opportunity...

We are the only outpost out west... Grandparents visited once and up until that time never ventured more than about 50 miles from the farm... just needed to see everything was ok and it was... the redwoods and Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Cable Cars and Golden Gate Bridge checked all the boxes..

They were booked to fly to Los Angeles and then change planes to San Francisco... very bad weather diverted the flight to San Francisco as Los Angeles was closed... can't imagine that would happen today but what a treat being delivered to final destination non stop...

Flew home out of Los Angeles and we did Disneyland... Grandpa got a kick out of the Matterhorn and Grandma loved Its a Small World... 1967

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,426  

Don't see the really big families do much anymore... had one with 10 in high school and that was unusual...
I was related to half of 3 towns. That was just direct decendants. This doesn't count her siblings.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,427  
The Mayflower pilgrims had been outlaws in England, members of an underground church known as the Brownists or Separatists. They believed church should be a voluntary community rather than a compulsory state religion. For their refusal to submit to the Church of England they had faced raids, prison, exile and death for the previous 60 years.
The pilgrims were not the first British settlers in North America. The officially sanctioned colony of Jamestown, Virginia, was 13 years old in 1620 and Roanoake colony, founded in the 1580s, had disappeared. What is less well known is that the Brownists themselves had made a previous expedition to North America. They had attempted to become the pilgrim fathers as early as 1597, trying to settle in Newfoundland.

The bit that sticks in my mind is that they were met by someone speaking english.

The Mayflower was also a tiny, tiny ship. I can't imagine sailing the North Atlantic in a ship that size.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,430  
Spent part of my youth at my uncles place in western MA.
The mountain we lived on had three major families.
2 of British decent and 1 French.
Now I think most are gone or moved on, but you could call out one of the three last names at the fair, and a large portion of the crowd would respond......