What Do You Do For Exercise?

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #201  
We had a big storm roll through here a few days ago that took down two trees and numerous large limbs. I finally finished up today. That's enough exercise for a couple of days.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #202  
We had a big storm roll through here a few days ago that took down two trees and numerous large limbs. I finally finished up today. That's enough exercise for a couple of days.
That you did is called isometric and does little for your heart and will give you an heartattack. That is why snow-blowing or shoveling it ARE famous for giving folks heart-attacks.. You need to do something brisk for 1/2 an hour each day despite how "tired" you felt. Ask your doctor or cardiologist about that.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #203  
Here's today's exercise. Running a chain saw, and throwing the smaller lighter stuff on the burn pile.

Bounced between a chain saw and a trackhoe today.

View attachment 813815
Yeah, but the vibration of the chainsaw gave you like a gazzilion steps and active minutes!

Which I think is valid given how much energy it takes to run a chain saw.

I get 500-700 active minutes a week and I think the recommended amount is 150. Getting up and simply moving is better than sitting in a chair watching TV. One can get up and walk or walk in place and still watch TV.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #204  
Yeah, but the vibration of the chainsaw gave you like a gazzilion steps and active minutes!

Which I think is valid given how much energy it takes to run a chain saw.

I get 500-700 active minutes a week and I think the recommended amount is 150. Getting up and simply moving is better than sitting in a chair watching TV. One can get up and walk or walk in place and still watch TV.

Try putting a track back on a track hoe by yourself in 95° Temps.

I'm still logging zone minutes with a heart rate of 140, I've been sitting in the truck for the past couple minutes in the ac

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #205  
Jumping to conclusions is one of my favorite activities.

When I'm not up a tree.

Tomorrow, the top comes down ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_144148750.jpg
    IMG_20230731_144148750.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 47
   / What Do You Do For Exercise? #206  
I moved 3 protein feeders and then built pens around them to keep the cows out. Put out 3000# of protein, 1500# of corn and trimmed overhanging branches on the 2700 acre deer lease this past weekend. Also pulled down an old blind and loaded on the trailer so I could haul it home for refurb. All in triple digits. Plus hunted and shot 2 pigs.

I needed to come home to relax. :)

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #208  
My spouse worked cardiac rehab for years. These people WERE recovering from by-pass surgery, getting a catheter installed or some other kind of cardiac repair etc, etc. 90% of the guys in rehab would exclaim "I work so had at my X,Y, Z job, I'm getting a terrific workout doing that!". As they slowly, painfully, moved across the rehab floor at 45 years of age. So tell everyone here just how tired you are after doing that job you did today.

/ What Do You Do For Exercise? #209  
Here, cutting and splitting firewood creates a little bit of a workout. A couple neighbors looked at the 10cord stacks I have (1yr each stack) and mentioned how impressive the amount of work it was. I waved over to the old farm buildings, and told how in the 60s, almost all of the work filling those with feed could have been automated, but unloading would have been all by hand, and would have amounted to half of one of these cordwood stacks, every day, 5cord or about 20,000lb a day every day.
I got ahold of an old soil report for the farm for 1950. It told how on the corn fields 10ton/acre manure was spread for fertilizer. At the time, the spreaders were still loaded by hand.

Last edited:
   / What Do You Do For Exercise? #210  
My spouse worked cardiac rehab for years. These people WERE recovering from by-pass surgery, getting a catheter installed or some other kind of cardiac repair etc, etc. 90% of the guys in rehab would exclaim "I work so had at my X,Y, Z job, I'm getting a terrific workout doing that!". As they slowly, painfully, moved across the rehab floor at 45 years of age. So tell everyone here just how tired you are after doing that job you did today.
Often wondered to what extent daily activity impacts health.

20,000 steps in a 8 hour shift with a lot of up and down is typical… a very slow day is still 10,000.

Brush clearing with handlebar trimmer for 8 hours is quite a workout on step hillsides and ravines but neither example is instense…