1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Yesterday at a flea market I picked up the above blower for cheap.

I am getting a little frustrated with it..

it will run on ether (just enough to test). But it is not getting gas. Pickup Filter is relatively clear, fuel line is in good shape.

I want to get a rebuild kit for the carburetor, which is a Walbro. It is a WY carburetor but no additional model number info is visible anywhere on the carb body.

The Toro part number is 65-3740.

The replacement carburetor prices run from $340 to over $1000. AYFKM??????

there are several WY rebuild kits available for $9-$15, but I need to know which one and I cannot find any cross-reference to determine the Walbro p/n from the Toro p/n.

any tips? Other than re-sell the blower to another sucker…

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #2  
Is there a fuel filter inside the gas tank? If you can get the engine brand and model you may find an inexpensive carburetor on eBay - I've done pretty well there. Lacking that try an eBay search using the part number you have.

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question
Is there a fuel filter inside the gas tank? If you can get the engine brand and model you may find an inexpensive carburetor on eBay - I've done pretty well there. Lacking that try an eBay search using the part number you have.
Fuel filter is in the tank, it is reasonably clear. There is t all that much o. EPrey that fits that model blower…

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #4  
My first guess is that it was made by American Yard Machine, they made/make a bunch of different brands, selling the same machines in different color schemes. So, that the retail places never have to price match.

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #5  
Is it a 2 stroke? If it is and you used either to run and or start it, I'd be selling it as the piston and rings are most likely scored and shot. Once you dilute the oil / fuel mix with a solvent like either, a 2 stroke is finished.

Is it a 2 stroke? If it is and you used either to run and or start it, I'd be selling it as the piston and rings are most likely scored and shot. Once you dilute the oil / fuel mix with a solvent like either, a 2 stroke is finished.
I bought it at a yard sale, it had with a of sitting unused for a significant time. I used Ether (40% spray ) exactly twice to verify it would run, once before pulling off and trying to clean carb with carb cleaner and once after reassembly —- nowhere near enough time to destroy the rings and cylinder walls. At least by my actions. Especially since I tested it in 80+ degree weather, which would allow the ether to fully vaporize (and mostly disperse into the atmosphere anyway) and not simply be aerosolized droplets to wash the cylinder walls.

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #7  
With a 2 stroke oil mix motor, it only takes one time. and it's easy to see if you scored it as well. Pull the muffler off and look in the exhaust port and run the piston up and observe the skirt and ring edges. If there are vertical scratches on the skirt or nicks in the rings, you cooked it.

Probably had stale e-gas in it that phase separated and the diaphram in the carb is most likely hard as a rock and no amount of carb cleaner will fix that and most likely the fuel lines and impulse line is shot as well. E-gas destroys them when it sits and gets stale.

Resist the urge to by a knockoff carb (Chinese) from Amazon or Flea Bay as most of them don't work. Get yourself a genuine Walbro rebuild kit and replace the internal parts. They are cheap, like 15 bucks and some new fuel line (Tygon) and a new in tank filter as yours is most likely all gunked up.

Drain the tank completely and flush it out with fresh gasoline.

That is if you didn't score the piston skirt (which also scores the bore or nicked the ring(s).

Only takes one shot of either usually.

While you have the muffler off, remove any built up carbon from the muffler and make sure the spark arrestor screen is clean. You can clean the screen by burning off the carbon with a propane torch.

Finally, get yourself a bottle of quality 2 stroke oil like Stihl or Echo Red Armor. Because it's old, you need to mix it at 40-1.

I run canned gas (Tru-Fuel or Echo Red Armor) in my infrequently used seasonal equipment. Canned fuel don't phase separate and lasts for years.

Good luck.

. Get yourself a genuine Walbro rebuild kit and replace the internal parts. They are cheap,

which is why I am trying to get help identifying the carburetor - all it has is the WY designation and not the rest of the numbers. Because the genuine Walbro replacement under the Toro part number runs between $350.00 and $1050.00.

I would LOVE to order a rebuild kit —- but which one?

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #9  
Kilroy,
Possibly dumb question but have you thoroughly cleaned all the outside surfaces of that carb and then looked everywhere for more numbers and letters? I don’t remember if Walbro or some other brand but they would put markings in multiple locations just cause they could. I think some where pin stamp so could also be faint impressions.

/ 1992 Toro 30935 Leaf Blower carburetor question #10  
I believe Walbro has an online presence so you can contact them. Most all of them are identical inside far as replacement parts but I'd still look at the piston and rings through the exhaust port first.