Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated .

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #1  

RidgeTopWVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400
I have noticed some people driving there tractors with the front end loader bucket about 3' to 4'ft
off of the ground while mowing or brush hogging and I am wondering why some people do so . I always keep the bucket low to the ground .

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #2  
While brush hogging I favor removing the bucket for visibility and keeping the FEL frame work below my sightline over the front of the hood.
I have mowed with the FEL removed but the front traction suffers.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #3  
Maybe mowing real tall stuff and don't want the bucket pushing it down. Perhaps better sightline - looking UNDER the bucket. OR they simply don't realize the increased dangers.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #4  
If there is nothing in the bucket the danger of rolling is not much more than with no bucket. I usually have mine off (both of my Kubby's have SSQA buckets). but sometimes I'll keep the bucket on and raised above the stuff I'm mowing.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #5  
I always keep the bucket low to the ground .
Keeping the bucket low when shredding tends to fold over whatever you are mowing and loosen any seeds or chaff which immediately gets sucked into the radiator or rad screen.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #6  
I was discing in 5-7 ft tall weeds. I used the bucket to push the weeds over in advance of the tractor. I was still fighting them off in the open cab occasionally

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #7  
I don't disc anything but I'd have used the slasher first.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated .
Keeping the bucket low when shredding tends to fold over whatever you are mowing and loosen any seeds or chaff which immediately gets sucked into the radiator or rad screen.
i have noticed people driving with the bucket elevated mowing lawns/pastures fields on slopes and I personally like to keep the bucket close to the ground for stability when not driving on flat ground.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #9  
I have noticed some people driving there tractors with the front end loader bucket about 3' to 4'ft
off of the ground while mowing or brush hogging and I am wondering why some people do so . I always keep the bucket low to the ground .
I keep mine on and low to the ground. In taller grass / weeds if there is something I can't see like a tree or something I would much rather it hit the bucket than the tractor.

/ Driving tractor with the front end loader bucket elevated . #10  
It can depend on many things.

I mow other people's fields for hire. Some fields I mow, it will be the first time I've ever been on the field. You don't ever get to see it for the first time "already mowed". Some fields, I've been on before, and I "know" the field.

I use my bucket as a tool to "find" surprises in the tall grass and weeds that "no one knows how that got there". I'm pushing the grass and weeds down intentionally with my bucket.

This field had weeds 10' tall in some spots, and at least hood high, all over the field, I'm using my bucket to push it down in front of me to see if "something" is in there:

20220724_150802.jpg

In this field alone I "found"...

Stacks of pallets
Old vehicle tires
Old tractor tires
Chunks of concrete
Large mound of dirt

Right out in the middle of all these tall weeds, and randomly strewn about. My bucket, running low in front of me, ON PURPOSE, has saved me more times than I can count.