Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
Finally took delivery. There was more paperwork than I expected and a few minor issues that needed to be worked out, but the builder made it all right.

5200 lb axle with brakes. Round 7 pin electric. 14'. It is listed at 1000 lbs. I opted to forgo the mount for the spare. Once we are done moving (150 miles each way), the trailer will rarely leave the property except when we need something 'big' at TSC or Atwoods. The spare can ride on the trailer or in the bed.

20230406_171204.jpg

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #172  
Nice looking trailer. That's a heavy axle they put in it. 👍 You could easily fashion a spare tire carrier from a couple of heavy bolts, for a lot less money than they would have charged you.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #173  
No need for Rack stake pockets. a 1" pipe securely welded on each side two inches below the top angle works for tiedowns. Make sure the tires are embossed Trailer Use. Ramp should be longer. Axle should be forward 6" or 6" past Centre. Drill the upright for Two 1/2" dia bolts and bolt spare to front of trailer resting on Diagonal.
Purchase a cover for it.

Thanks. Tires are trailer use. I haven't decided if I'll bother with mounting the spare. My old trailer had it horizontal on the yoke.

Why would I need a longer ramp? No lawn mowers or anything with low clearance. What am I missing? It will occasionally carry a SXS to/from the dealership. Otherwise, it will hold timber, saplings for planting, drywall, fencing materials, tools, etc.

Even if I was inclined to put my tractor on a single axle, it would have to be sans loader to work. Tractor plus loader is right at 5k. That doesn't even count loaded tires, attachments or other accoutrement.

Also, the price was $2005 out the door including farm tag fee.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #175  
Thanks. Tires are trailer use. I haven't decided if I'll bother with mounting the spare. My old trailer had it horizontal on the yoke.

Why would I need a longer ramp? No lawn mowers or anything with low clearance. What am I missing? It will occasionally carry a SXS to/from the dealership. Otherwise, it will hold timber, saplings for planting, drywall, fencing materials, tools, etc.

Even if I was inclined to put my tractor on a single axle, it would have to be sans loader to work. Tractor plus loader is right at 5k. That doesn't even count loaded tires, attachments or other accoutrement.

Also, the price was $2005 out the door including farm tag fee.
Yeah, your 55 horse T574H is just too big and heavy to be hauling on a 14ft single axle trailer. You might get away with it for a 10 mile gingerly tiptoed trip to a repair shop or something but I wouldn't do it on any regular basis. My Stagecoach brand trailer (made in TX) has the 5200 lb axle too and very glad I upgraded to that. Being old and feeble I LIKE a very short ramp because it is lighter and easier to handle. Mine is that way (short) because I got a short beavertail at the rear of mine. What brand/manufacturer is your trailer?

This was made by a mom and pop shop in Tyler. There are tons of trailer manufacturers near us. For the same features, a PJ was going to cost more than 50% more.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #177  
This was made by a mom and pop shop in Tyler. There are tons of trailer manufacturers near us. For the same features, a PJ was going to cost more than 50% more.
I paid $2124 in 2017 for a Stagecoach brand trailer made in Naples TX, sold via dealer in Shreveport, Naples being around the same distance from Dallas and/or from Shreveport as is Tyler. Mine has the 5200 lb Dexter axle, spare tire mount, small beavertail and short (nice!) ramp. I've been extremely happy with mine. Hauled logs, mulch and one trip to Iowa to bring home a Kubota B2150 (with ease, the perfect tool for that job.) The heavier axle seems to automatically come with stronger tires and wheels.
20170904_134637.jpg

I can see a trip to South Dakota with mine at some point when my dad passes. He is 91.

I'll probably need to haul things down here. A piano, for one. I may be able to just use the truck, but it is nice to have options.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #179  
No need for Rack stake pockets. a 1" pipe securely welded on each side two inches below the top angle works for tiedowns. Make sure the tires are embossed Trailer Use. Ramp should be longer. Axle should be forward 6" or 6" past Centre. Drill the upright for Two 1/2" dia bolts and bolt spare to front of trailer resting on Diagonal.
Purchase a cover for it.
Why 6" past center for the axle? Not sure if you mean 6" forward of the center of the bed or aft of the bed center? Confused by the way you stated that. I have noted with interest there are many variations of axle placement on trailers. This includes both single and dual-axle models. Some have the axle placed far to the rear and others closer to bed center. I have not seen a good write-up on the pros and cons of various axle placement philosophies.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #180  
I can see a trip to South Dakota with mine at some point when my dad passes. He is 91.

I'll probably need to haul things down here. A piano, for one. I may be able to just use the truck, but it is nice to have options.
I wouldn't want to haul the piano in a trailer. It will bounce around a lot less in the pickup bed, tied as far forward as you can get it. That'll leave plenty of room in the trailer for other things though.