New Tractor Sales Are Declining

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,491  
A dealer might reduce their profit margin to make a sale of what they have in stock instead of continuing to incur carrying costs, but they aren't likely to buy inventory from a manufacturer to sell it at a loss.

It wasn't so long ago that a 3br 2 bath brick house could be purchased for what they are selling compact skid loaders these days.
I got curious about new trucks last week. I got the 2015 Ram Cummins for $42k out the door back when. Price to play for a diesel HD truck is $75k now. I remember cheaper houses 20 years back. Even worse all the blue book sites were telling my truck was only worth like $22k. I said %&^$ that noise I'll do some more upgrades to the Ram instead of making a house payment on a vehicle.... Cost of one payment and I've got heated/cooled leather seats with extra gel pads to boot....

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,492  
one has money tied up in inventory and one is churning money at a loss. to me the latter is worse because you're losing money faster....
But what good is inventory if your not selling it. You will be out of business faster if your not selling product.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,493  
Look at rising interest rates, hyper inflation on literally everything we buy for the last 2-3 years and it’s a recipe for reduced buying power for the average American.

I just saw that due to inflation alone, making $100,000 in 2019 translates to making $82,000 in 2023.
I read that too. A 20% reduction in buying power is no joke. For most of us it is the difference between buying that optional purchase or waiting... and you wait until your buying power goes up by one means or another.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,494  
I read that too. A 20% reduction in buying power is no joke. For most of us it is the difference between buying that optional purchase or waiting... and you wait until your buying power goes up by one means or another.

Now combine a 20% loss in buying power with 8% interest rates. (n)

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,495  
But what good is inventory if your not selling it. You will be out of business faster if your not selling product.
Elon Musk recently stated he would continue to cut prices if required to keep his factories busy as long as Tesla doesn't sell at a net loss. I was considering a Toyota RAV4 Prime but with the price change it's more expensive than a Tesla Model. Y long range dual motor with a trailer hitch. Same goes for Jeep Wagoneer. He has predicted all lights will be back on green by mid 2025 and he wants to be fully ramped and pumping. Both are different vehicles from the Tesla model. Y. but neither are the other two considered hard working farm trucks.

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,496  
Look at it this way, you can cut prices so long as you're not losing money cutting prices. Otherwise its the old "we lose money on every sale but make it up in volume" fallacy

Mathematically here's the score selling at a loss either

A. You have your overhead cost
B. You have overhead cost + cost of churning inventory at a loss

The latter moves you under faster....

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,497  
Elon Musk recently stated he would continue to cut prices if required to keep his factories busy as long as Tesla doesn't sell at a net loss. I was considering a Toyota RAV4 Prime but with the price change it's more expensive than a Tesla Model. Y long range dual motor with a trailer hitch. Same goes for Jeep Wagoneer. He has predicted all lights will be back on green by mid 2025 and he wants to be fully stopped and pumping. Both are different vehicles from the Tesla model. Y. but neither are the other two considered hard working farm trucks.

And he has quite a bit of room to cut before there's a net loss from what I've seen of Tesla margins. Cutting margins is cutting fat till you get to break even, then it's cutting meat and bone...

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,499  
If the majority believe as you and they keep buying no matter the price - then you will be right. If the consumer looses their buying power the they will have NO CHOICE but to put off the major purchase and that will hurt the manufacturer to the point they will have to lower the prices to make sales once more.
It's economics 101

I believe the MSRP/List prices will remain high but, the manufactures will increase the incentives (cash discounts and/or low interest rates) on equipment.

Mike

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,500  
Look at it this way, you can cut prices so long as you're not losing money cutting prices. Otherwise its the old "we lose money on every sale but make it up in volume" fallacy

Mathematically here's the score selling at a loss either

A. You have your overhead cost
B. You have overhead cost + cost of churning inventory at a loss

The latter moves you under faster....
I'm not in the sale business but to me Option A would move you under faster if you have no income.

If a seller buys the inventory from the manufacturer up front and sells with a markup for profit then they are at the mercy of the market for that inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.