Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
#1,211  
I can only hope they don't turn historical, classical looking great lakes freighters , like the A.m.A into a barge or scrap it.
All boats get scrapped. Seems some salts only last 20 years yet some GL boats are still operating 60 or more years.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,212  
All boats get scrapped. Seems some salts only last 20 years yet some GL boats are still operating 60 or more years.
Or maybe get turned into a museum ship?

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,213  
I just looked at marine traffic and Algoma corp has the only three boats on all of the lakes today operating today. The Algoma crews are tough? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
Just met up with a friend and had coffee with him yesterday down on the St, Mary's river at the Sault Ontario locks.
Funny you mentioned this because I asked him if the shipping channel closed this winter or not because none Superior froze over as far as I can see from the highways. And he said he has been seeing ships going in and out of Algoma Steel.

#1,214  
Just met up with a friend and had coffee with him yesterday down on the St, Mary's river at the Sault Ontario locks.
Funny you mentioned this because I asked him if the shipping channel closed this winter or not because none Superior froze over as far as I can see from the highways. And he said he has been seeing ships going in and out of Algoma Steel.
It looks like Algoma steel only gets there raw materials from above the locks?

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,215  
It looks like Algoma steel only gets there raw materials from above the locks?

No, from both ways I think?? They get/have got iron ore from the States and Quebec.

And our road salt for this area comes by ship also. But that usually all comes in by Oct./Nov though I have seen ships come in as soon as the channel is open when they have run out here.

I know nothing about the shipping channels but I sure see a lot of Great lakes freighters going through the locks here, and going in and out of the plant.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,216  
Wow, those Google reviews were very entertaining to read, LOL

I've both lived by and trucked in and out of Algoma Steel. Yes it is dirty. But it IS the economy of this area.

And as a trucker, if you know what you are doing, they are not rude. I've never had an issue loading there. But I have seen some of the truckers that go in there and all I can say is they deserve the treatment they get.

Like the one time I was inside my open top trailer chaining down my coils in 40 door of the cold mill and all of a sudden my truck got hit. Then hit again as I tried to run out to see what was going on.
It was another transport driver trying to back in and repeatable backing into my tractor trailer.

I had to jump up to his driver window and stop him. I said "you hit my truck!"
He said "Ya I know, I can't see."

#1,217  
Dorothy Ann in Cleveland, OH yesterday.
335154137_173858498323215_2651588877257434663_n.jpg

#1,219  
   / Great lake boats, a good video #1,220  

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw WLBB 30

pdrnSeosot9ght8hu6g7r3 14 668gtum1 50:cP06f545aaa2MM778711t
Being about 70 miles due south of the southern tip of Lake Michigan we are always looking for our snowy owl who has wintered in our area the past few years but we did not spot him this winter. This will supply that deficiency.View attachment 788188View attachment 788189View attachment 788190View attachment 788191View attachment 788192
The original Mackinac ice breaker is in Mackinac city MI as a tour ship. Very interesting history, Was worth my time anyway touring/ checking it out.
Lol it's "Mackinaw" not my auto corrected Mackinac

Last edited: