Seasoning Firewood

/ Seasoning Firewood #11  
Soft woods get one summer air dried in direct sunlight, then stack inside. Minimum 1 1/2 years before burned.
Hard wood (White Oak) gets air dried in direct sunlight. Minimum of 2 1/2 years before burned.
After insulating the house my wood consumption has been cut by about 30%.

/ Seasoning Firewood #13  
The shed I built and stocked this summer
20221123_161129.jpg

my processing setup
20220516_144652.jpg

how I built the bucking table

/ Seasoning Firewood #14  
View attachment 776740
my processing setup

How long will that much wood last you?

/ Seasoning Firewood #15  
I have lots of dead pine and cedar, harvest in the winter, split and stack and it's ready by the next winter. I have lots of white and black oak, takes a couple summers for the right moisture content for me to feel comfortable to burn. My favorite is the cedar, smells good, burns hot, low ash. I bought a moisture meter about 2 years ago, piece of mind purchase.

/ Seasoning Firewood #16  
How long will that much wood last you?
Hopefully, the rest of my life. Heating with a pellet stove with solar & gas backup generators. Can heat with wood as last resort.

/ Seasoning Firewood #17  
View attachment 776740
my processing setup
View attachment 776741
how I built the bucking table
That's exactly how i do it, except much smaller wood "shed" 2/3 as big and a little HF electric splitter, so ya exactly. :unsure: 🙃 Oh and my wood shed is cedar sided and roof is clear PVC and 24" overhang all around, cause it rains here, alot.

Need to pick up a few more pallets and read about the bucking table.

/ Seasoning Firewood #18  
I try to season what I have 1 to 2 years split and stacked in a shed, right now I have just over 3 cord of wood on hand split and stacked ready, started the season with just under 4 cord which is all I have room for currently, in the coming months I plan to add room for 2 more cord on the end of one of my sheds (doesn't take much space at 12' wide by 8' tall which is a cord... which looks less impressive than the 4'x8'x8' in my other shed that is 2 cord...)

/ Seasoning Firewood #19  
Depends on the specie, some only take a few months, others should be left for aprox. 2 years.

SR
I agree. It seems to me that the basic rule of thumb is the denser the wood, the longer it takes to cure. Splitting reduces cure time significantly. I am no expert on wood physics , but it seems to me curing a wood of its initial moisture takes a whole lot longer than drying wood out that got wet (as in left out in the rain) after the initial cure. I don't know why that is.

/ Seasoning Firewood #20  
I agree. It seems to me that the basic rule of thumb is the denser the wood, the longer it takes to cure. Splitting reduces cure time significantly. I am no expert on wood physics , but it seems to me curing a wood of its initial moisture takes a whole lot longer than drying wood out that got wet (as in left out in the rain) after the initial cure. I don't know why that is.

It would take a long time to get a piece of dry firewood as wet as it started. It doesn’t soak up a lot of moisture to get rained on.