Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #81  
I brush trails for a living. Carry files and touch them up by hand (just the file) as the day goes but I carry spare chains as well. If its a bad ding, I replace the chain and have it pro ground.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #83  
I love my HF sharpener. It does a better job than I've ever been able to do with a file. I don't believe it takes an excessive amount from the tooth, it takes very little with each motion. As far as I'm concerned, the chains I sharpen cut very close to as well as a new chain. I am somewhat surprised as to how many people have called it junk.
I love mine too..... BUT I have found that by just setting the depth, and angle and not trying to adjust amount of cut mine works well... What I do is use the flexibility of unit to push it (grinding head) side ways to contact tooth minimally to put a edge on tooth....

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #84  
I love my HF sharpener. It does a better job than I've ever been able to do with a file. I don't believe it takes an excessive amount from the tooth, it takes very little with each motion. As far as I'm concerned, the chains I sharpen cut very close to as well as a new chain. I am somewhat surprised as to how many people have called it junk.
It's not because it take an excessive amount of the tooth: that's mainly operator error. It's because it lacks the rigidity required to get accurate, repeatable results.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #85  
Here is my AAA sharpener I use and the results it does. Its joints are loose and can be owly to operate.. This is the only way this chain has been sharpened since new and it may have been redone 8 times. Was it worth its cost? Looks like its chipping to me. :p
P1120869.jpg

P1120868.jpg

Sharpeing device does wear glove for this process.
P1120871.jpg

Last edited:
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #86  
Looking for new files for my 4.5 gas and cordless running chainsaws all different pitches, etc. instead bought this entire Oregon kit imo good black Friday deal. Even has a portable stump vise.

Attachments

• KIMG1405.JPG
    KIMG1405.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #87  
Looking for new files for my 4.5 gas and cordless running chainsaws all different pitches, etc. instead bought this entire Oregon kit imo good black Friday deal. Even has a portable stump vise.
That kit is gives you an assortment of file sizes, but only one of the clip on guide plates. Those guides are specific to a file size, so for whatever files you wish to use other than the one that matches the included guide plate, you will need to buy the appropriate guide plate (or learn to free-hand file).

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #88  
I just use some Oregon stones in my Dremel and do each blade free hand.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #89  
That skip link square ground chain is fun to play with. And I am not too bad at hand filing it either. definitely not for everybody. people that can't hand file with a round file shouldn't even touch this stuff. And unless you are doing large volume of cutting not worth the $1900 for the electric sharpener.
Skip tooth square chisel chain is not for weinie saws. Takes some horses to pull it. I have it on my 075 Stihl on a 36" bar.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #90  
I bought the Oregon Professional 620 bench grinder a few years ago. Granted, it was over $400 at the time. Not sure what it is now.

I only have the one saw, Stihl MS391. I have several chains for it. I abuse the crap out of my saw. I got tired of digging out stumps with my backhoe, and on many occasions, simply dug down and cut the stumps off several inches below the surface. I might get through a stump on one chain depending the size.

I sharpened my chains by hand for years. Got quite good at it, but it takes time and skill. Buying this grinder has defiantly changed the way I sharpen a chainsaw. For a while, when I needed to sharpen the chain, I'd simply remove it from the bar and add a new one. The old, dull one would go into a coffee can on the bench. After I collected a few chains in the can, I'd sit down with my grinder and sharpen them up. Now, having a collection of sharp chains hanging from a hook in the shop, when the saw gets dull, I just swap out chains.

I have also made it a money maker of sorts. My neighbor has a side business cutting firewood. He goes through chains. Before I got my grinder, he would collect up his dull chains, same as me, and take them into the local hardware store to be sharpened. They charged between $6-10 per chain depending on length. Since I got my grinder, and since I live so close, and since I'm good at it, he swings by my shop every once in a while with a case of beer and a bucket of chains. I spend a few hours BSing and grinding. When I'm done, he hands me a wad of cash and I hand him a bucket with sharp chains. He saves money, and I make a little. But more importantly, I'm a value to my neighbor and others for this service.

I love my grinder.