Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer??

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer?? #41  
SO that is one persons average, how to you come up with the average miles per trip per person for 335 million?
Bottom line to get a tractor dealer it's a 3 to 5 hour round trip for me, depending on color 50-150 miles. I'm positive the average trip to a dealer for everyone on this forum would be much lower. And some would have much further and longer round trips.
Averages are useless to figure out what works for each person, My average ICE trip is less than a mile but then I'm not leaving my property 99.9% of the time. When do leave it's to get something with the trailer (Hay or vehicles) or head to the city 100+ miles away. Neither a good chore for an EV today, since nothing is flat around here.
I was just pointing out how averages work. It doesn't mean 50% are higher and 50% are lower.

Also, there's only about 238 million licensed drivers in the US, not 355 million.

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer?? #43  
A bit of reality from my experience.

First is my oldest son, he has a one-way drive to work of 40 miles and has been driving his Chevy 2500 Duramax, it was getting expensive. Instead of driving his wife's little VW since she works from home, he went out and bought a new Chevy Bolt before he did his homework. He learned that his workplace had EV recharging parking spots but after the fact found out there were only four and first come first serve. Then he found out his home didn't have a grid power feed to support fast EV charging and he was limited to 220 volt 30 amp circuit or 6.6kWh to recharge an EV with a 65kWh battery. Doable but with a 12-hour to 100% charge time in warmer months. He also failed to catch the reduction of available mileage in the winter months when batteries are cold and interiors need heating.

My wife and I (both retired) were looking to replace her 2013 Equinox. It has been a good vehicle without issues outside of normal wear like tires and battery. We were looking at an EV as a replacement, and EV would fit our needs very well. Her car is mostly used for around-town shopping, etc. We live rural so we discovered to get an EV recharging setup we would need a second line run in from the utilities step-down transformer out in the front of the property,$6,000. Then we need to get our electrical contractor to come in and run the new feed to a breaker panel and get the lines pulled for the EV recharging station, $4,000. Don't even have a color picked out and I'm 10Gs in. We decided to put off the switch to an EV. We are retired and she uses, on average, about 10 gallons of gas a month.

I'm all for EVs but it isn't like throwing on a switch as the government would have you believe. Switching over is a process of evolution and many factors have to grow along with the adoption of a family EV.

Last edited:
   / Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer?? #44  
I’m a fan of electric vehicles. I am half way there with a 2021 Lexus ES300h (45+ mpg highway). That said, it will be decades before there is substantial change in car buying to electric no matter what CA does. The indentured serfs of corporate America won’t be able to afford rent and an electric car payment. It will also be decades and more before we are using renewables to smelt metals. Will plastic be the car body of choice? Isn’t plastic a petroleum product?

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer?? #45  
Whenever the government comes up with a stupid idea that they want to force on everybody, people come out of the woodwork with what they believe to be better ideas – that presumably should be forced on everybody instead of the government's stupid idea. Hey, my central planning is better than their central planning!

As a reminder, here is how it is supposed to work in a free society:
  • Entrepreneur has an idea.
  • Entrepreneur uses his own money, or that of voluntary investors, to bring his idea to market.
  • One of two things happens: Either consumers love the idea, causing the inventor to make a profit and others to copy him, or consumers hate the idea and he goes bankrupt, at which point other people who might be able to better utilize his resources to satisfy consumer preferences buy his assets at fire-sale prices and give it a go.

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer??
Maybe the OP doesn't like trees???
I enjoy removing trees with my tractor and grapple.
5D6938C0-49B9-4447-ACDD-3E1884CD6BE6.jpeg

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer??
Meant that to come out funny. If it didn't my BAD! Wish I had your grapple, would come in handy for many jobs. including tree removal. 🤣
No worries ! I wish we could openly inject politics in the argument but then it gets shut down or out of control... I guess Climate change is here to stay until scientist get the balls to openly debate this . If you read how a battery is made for an electric car and the Minerals it takes. We would destroy half of the earth just to produce the quantity needed .

They keep pushing and telling us that the weather is getting worst because of all the pollution. I believe 99% of this is BS! There seems to be lots of ways to make fuel that our cars that we can burn but there's always reasons why it can't be done.

All I can say is my Grandkids will suffer the most !!

/ Making Fuel from Carbon Dioxide, the perfect answer?? #50  
…and in the first 10 or 20 years of ICE vehicles there weren’t gas stations on every corner either!