customer services frustration

/ customer services frustration #51  
I don't have that issue as both my units are in my dealer's data base so if I require something, they look and it gets delivered to the farm.

/ customer services frustration #52  
Typical small customer or new customer:
I want a filter for an ABC model.
Which filter?
Hydraulic.
Do you know your serial number?
No, they are all the same, just get me a filter
Did you buy it here? I can probably look up the S/N, we really need it to get the right part.
This is the better sequence of questions. You needed the S/N and tried to find an alternate get to get that info. That is a different thing than starting the interaction with the 'did you buy it from us' approach.

I feel you on customers. Worked in Tech support managing a call center. People paid $2500 for a computer with no knowledge of how to run it. When they broke it, they wanted a replacement as if it were a toaster. Many of the 'stories' you here are true. I listened to many calls and was truly surprised how some people made it to adulthood.

/ customer services frustration #53  
I feel you on customers. Worked in Tech support managing a call center. People paid $2500 for a computer with no knowledge of how to run it. When they broke it, they wanted a replacement as if it were a toaster. Many of the 'stories' you here are true. I listened to many calls and was truly surprised how some people made it to adulthood.
Yup. I spent many more years in IT support than at the parts counter.
I bought a new computer and let my kid use it, now it is full of viruses, how much to fix. Aprox $500 worth of time. What? I didn't pay that much for the PC< you're ripping me off. Fix it yourself...
PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer

/ customer services frustration #54  
ID 10 T error.......

/ customer services frustration
Where I worked a typical call from a large customer would be:
This is Jack from XYZ, I need a hydraulic filter for unit #17
Put customer name and unit number in system. Pull up details about "as shipped" and transfer S/N to parts look up screen. Compare multitude of choices and narrow down to proper filter.
OR:
This is Jack from XYZ, I need a #1234567 and bill it to unit #17
Done, boom, 90 seconds later someone is retrieving the filter from the shelf.

Typical small customer or new customer:
I want a filter for an ABC model.
Which filter?
Hydraulic.
Do you know your serial number?
No, they are all the same, just get me a filter
Did you buy it here? I can probably look up the S/N, we really need it to get the right part.
No, they are all the same, don't you know what you are doing?
Pull up the diagram for model ABC, Go to filters and show the screen that lists 3 different hydraulic filters to the customer.
Customer pulls out cell phone and calls home. I need the s/n from the ABC because these guys don't know what they are doing.

Alternative scenario after the second "no, they are all the same" response:
Parts person sells the customer a random filter that is at best an educated guess. Then moves on to the next customer in the queue.
Customer usually returns with the "wrong filter" and either the number off of the old filter or the S/N while yelling that the people here don't know anything.

Oh, and for customers with an account, we always tried to collect as much info about a new (to us) machine and add that one to the database. Not possible for cash customers.

Sheesh, I'm glad I am retired....

Your typical scenario doesn't work here because they didn't ask me these questions

when I called I said ''Hi I am ''Jack'', I looking to buy some filters for this specific tractor for this year.''
they ask which filters.
I said ''all the filters you have for this tractor, Air, engine, fuel and hydraulics filters and there is three hydraulic filters I want all 3 ''...
there is my credit card number and address please ship to address.

Received the engine oil filter, two air filters (outer and inner filters), the fuel filters, ONLY two hydraulic filters, one of them my tractor wasnt equip with it for some reason, the other (the sump filter) was the wrong one ( it had a hole in the cover but mine doesn't) and the third they simply didn't give it to me.

I would've rather if they would've follow your logic and just clear the shelf and send me 4 hydraulic filters or ask for my serial number like you probably would've ... I am sorry that I don't know the filters sin number the first time I order them, but next time I order it once I have the right filters I will know and use that information and if the manufacture would have these sin numbers in the owners manual it wouldn't happen and it would make your past job easer and maybe you would've liked your job a bit more...

I get it is hard to have a job in customer service but see I can handle the public so I don't have a job in customer service and when I do deal with customer service peoples I try to make it as easy as possible but I expect the same in return.

/ customer services frustration #56  
One last story:
Guy comes in and sits down in front of the top counterman and says he needs such and such shaft for his XYZ baler model 123. Not in stock so ordered from manufacturer as we are a dealer for XYZ.
Part comes in, picked up and paid for. Returns it to me and says it is the wrong part. I looked it up and confirmed it was the proper number, but sometimes parts get marked wrong. Apologized and ordered another one. Comes in and he picks it up.
Next day he is back with new part that is still "wrong" and the old part as proof. Checked dimensions and sure enough they don't match. Conferred with top counterman and he has me call XYZ parts technical support. Long hold, leave message, get call back. Tech guy looks up the part (there is only one possible part) and confirms part number. Then he pulls up factory spec data sheets (paper book as it was a 25 year old baler) and we start going through the dimensions. Both new parts match the specs perfectly. Old part is different.

Tech guy says to get the s/n as something is fishy. Finally got customer to give S/N all the while complaining that that part is the same in every baler and we are ALL idiots. Called tech guy back and he looked up the S/N. Didn't exist. NOT VALID. He said that number doesn't even follow our sequence but it does look like one from FGH brand (our competitor).

I called the parts guy down the street and said is this a good S/N for you? Told him the story and he said you must be dealing with so and so! Yes that's the name.

Turns out that the customer had tried to buy the shaft from the correct dealer but it was discontinued and no longer available, but the the customer "knew" that the same company made balers for both manufacturers he took it on himself to declare that "they are all the same". Knowing we couldn't look up FGH parts he flat out lied about what he had and put everyone through a totally futile attempt to "get it right". The shaft and bearings were spec'ed differently from the different brands and the plant made them accordingly.

In computer parlance: garbage in, garbage out. Some customers you are better off without.

/ customer services frustration #57  
if the manufacture would have these sin numbers in the owners manual it wouldn't happen and it would make your past job easer and maybe you would've liked your job a bit more...
Exactly! I don't know about all manufacturers but the ones I dealt with were terrible at the most simple and common parts. Shame on them.
Even my 25 year old el-cheapo garden tractor has a sticker under the hood that lists the OEM part numbers for the filters, belts and mower blades.
A 50 cent sticker would make things simple for many people for many years, but it would cost 50 cents....

/ customer services frustration
One last story:
Guy comes in and sits down in front of the top counterman and says he needs such and such shaft for his XYZ baler model 123. Not in stock so ordered from manufacturer as we are a dealer for XYZ.
Part comes in, picked up and paid for. Returns it to me and says it is the wrong part. I looked it up and confirmed it was the proper number, but sometimes parts get marked wrong. Apologized and ordered another one. Comes in and he picks it up.
Next day he is back with new part that is still "wrong" and the old part as proof. Checked dimensions and sure enough they don't match. Conferred with top counterman and he has me call XYZ parts technical support. Long hold, leave message, get call back. Tech guy looks up the part (there is only one possible part) and confirms part number. Then he pulls up factory spec data sheets (paper book as it was a 25 year old baler) and we start going through the dimensions. Both new parts match the specs perfectly. Old part is different.

Tech guy says to get the s/n as something is fishy. Finally got customer to give S/N all the while complaining that that part is the same in every baler and we are ALL idiots. Called tech guy back and he looked up the S/N. Didn't exist. NOT VALID. He said that number doesn't even follow our sequence but it does look like one from FGH brand (our competitor).

I called the parts guy down the street and said is this a good S/N for you? Told him the story and he said you must be dealing with so and so! Yes that's the name.

Turns out that the customer had tried to buy the shaft from the correct dealer but it was discontinued and no longer available, but the the customer "knew" that the same company made balers for both manufacturers he took it on himself to declare that "they are all the same". Knowing we couldn't look up FGH parts he flat out lied about what he had and put everyone through a totally futile attempt to "get it right". The shaft and bearings were spec'ed differently from the different brands and the plant made them accordingly.

In computer parlance: garbage in, garbage out. Some customers you are better off without.

that's brutal... I agree with your last statement at 100% and they have the right to refuse business to anyone its a private dealer ... I know that's not what you are saying but this doesn't apply to me I tried to make their job as easy as possible and never been a pain for them, other then being out of town and didn't purchase my tractor there.

/ customer services frustration #59  
Brutal and if I was that dealer I'd ask the guy to never come back. What a waste of time.

/ customer services frustration #60  
Yup, but too many owners see salesmen as money makers and parts and service people as expenses. But that is a totally different discussion.
I was only trying to show the "other side of the counter".

To the OP, None of my ranting was pointed at you as I believe you found a truly bad dealer, best to avoid in the future. Best wishes in finding a parts solution that works for you.

And from the owner's perspective: Lots of people want jobs but none of them want to work. Also sad but true.

It's a dog eat dog world and it is best to go around without "ALPO" written on your forehead.